AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOB filter

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default Re: HOB filter

Cheers Blue, I have noted the above. I'm going to attempt to get the canister filter running in the display tank in the next few hours, but first I will do a water change on my grow out tank.
    I hope I don't flood the house, spook my adult discus or ruin the canister filter trying to get it going, I spent 3 hours just getting the parts together, wish me luck

Real Name
    Sabrina

It took me awhile to set up the canister filter in the tank after I did a 70 liter water change, but I got that canister filter running, I'm so proud of myself lol I actually cant believe I did it! The spray bar has blown all my sand into humps, guess the Cories will like that. Here is a short video of the canister filter in action
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZrs_gMGmQ

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

You did great Sabrina and you move fast to protect your fish. I usually pull water(intake) from left side bottom and put in at upper right side, that way you turn over your entire tank. Also i like to mostly use sponges for media as they are great at holding bacteria. It will take a few weeks for the pump to cycle completely and polish your water so keep tabs on your water parameters especially your ammonia and nitrites, keep your HOB running since it is already cycled. When I started my tank my brand new Eheim pump took a big burp of air and it stopped water flow tho the pump was on, when I went do a water change I noticed it wasn't running and didn't know for how long it had stopped. Ammonia and nitrites were already present, to make a long story short, after I got everything started again and it was not easy, I added a second cannister pump, one that had been used recently and it helped very very much in getting the ammonia and nitrites under control. Lucky i didn't have any Discus at the time, i was just getting my tank cycled and maturing the water.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Cheers George! Yes, if I can I will fix a problem as fast as possible, my fish mean a lot to me. I figured I had the intake and outtake parts to close in the tank but its the only way I can get it working due to my glass lids on the tank and the fact that the hoses are quite short. It seems to be running ok thought at the moment so I'm not going to mess with it any further. I took test readings 2 hours after the water change and canister install:
    PH 7.0
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0.25
    Nitrate 20
    KH 35.8
    GH 125.3
    Yes I have left the HOB and jumbo sponge filter running too and will do for a few weeks until the canister filter catches up. I'm not as lucky as you were, I have the discus in the tank with that ammonia and nitrite at the moment, I'm hoping they will be ok. I will know better than to mess around with the filter media next time and also not be so silly to steal a whole sponge filter for the grow out tank, that's how I lost my cycle in this tank in the last week. I will be making 30% water changes every 2 days to try to fix the cycle, and I will monitor the water results carefully over the next week until the tank regains cycle again. Thanks again George

Real Name
    Mervin

Most folks prefer to put their spray bars closer to the surface to create water movement near the surface where gas exchange is more significant and the lower levels are less turbulent.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hey Blue,
    With the way the U shaped hard plastic bar is I could not get the end of the spray bar any closer to the surface even if I wanted too. Should I try removing the U shape part? Its the bit that hangs over the side of the tank to keep the spray bar in the tank. Would I then risk the spray bar flipping out of the tank without the U shape to hold it down? I know I need to move the intake and outtake further apart now, its just a matter of my glass lids being the problem because they were only designed for a HOB and a few power cords..

Real Name
    Mervin

It should give you a good idea here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZUX2nFQoA

Real Name
    Sabrina

Cheers for the video Blue, I think I might be able to remove the U shape part and just have the spray bar with the elbow and tubing, I will try that later today. Blue, when I need to stop the canister filter for a water change or maintenance, do I turn it off at the power and then turn the valves to the off position? Or should I let the canister drain back into the tank a minute before shutting the valves off? I want to be able to take the canister lid off and not flood the floor. Sorry for the questions but ive never owned one before..

Real Name
    Sabrina

Wow, just checked my water readings 24 hours after install of the canister filter, the ammonia and nitrite are gone but now its higher nitrate and my PH has lowered by 2 levels?
    PH 6.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 40
    29314224_10214082511270172_409325334089957376_o.jpg

Real Name
    Mervin

I would think you might want to look into larger daily or every other day WC's.30% seem to me a small WC for discus especially if they're fed more than once to twice a day.Your filter is not cycled yet so that reading really hasn't much to do with that reading,I would think.When I clean my canisters,I pull the plug and turn off the valves entering and exiting the filter.Always good to have your filter setting in something to catch any small amount of water that may come from the valve part.When the rate flow slows down or a month or two have past it's time to clean them.Nice to have a pre sponge on the intake;you can rinse during WC's.

Real Name
    Sabrina

I am feeding the adults 2-3 times a day at the moment, is that too much? I will up my water change to 50% every 2 days.
    Thank you for canister instructions, I will need them next water change

Real Name
    Mervin

Aged,aerated water is always better if changing extra large amounts.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Yes, I have had help with equipment I need to buy to age my water on another thread here, I think I might be buying the trash can today as I'm going to be in a bigger town this afternoon shopping, however, the pump will have to wait a week as I cant
    afford it today. So I have plans to age my water soon

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hmm it seem the tank has has a turn for the worst in regards to water test readings, its been 2 days since the canister install, these are the readings this morning on the tank:
    PH 7.0
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0.50
    Nitrate 40
    Those readings I took 2 days ago must of been false?
    I'm going to do a large water change now, my first water change with the canister, ive got the canister sitting in a medium sized tub for water changes. I hope I can bring down the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
    29388875_10214098934200735_3050978556139012096_o.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12