AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: discus rubbing towards objects

Registered Member

Default discus rubbing towards objects

Hi,

I have recently noticed one of my discus is rubbing towards objects in my tank. It is not too often though but i see it is happening once or twice in every few hours. The fish is looking healthy & active. It is one of the aggressive eaters in my tank and for sure i'm not seeing any sign of sickness but I just want to make sure everything is normal before it gets worse or too late.

Here are my tank details:

Tank size is 40 gallon with 90% water changes 3 times a week. (tap water with fluval conditioner)
    Bare bottom tank.
    I have total 5 discus with different sizes ranging from 3 to 4.5 inches.
    Feedings are 3 to 4 times a day with Frozen Blood Worms, Beef Heart, Freeze Dried Black Worms & Hikari discus bio-gold pellets.
    Filter i use is a sussun canister which filters 75 gallons per hour. Filter is cleaned every 3 months.
    Ammonia & PH are within the range.
    Tank temperature is maintained at 82F to 84F.

Water Metrics:
    Ammonia - 0.1
    PH - 7.2
    Nitrate - 0
    Nitrite - 0

(I know the tank is getting smaller as they are growing faster & i have plans to upgrade it in next 2 months)

I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or something that needs treatment. Any suggestions would help me to start with.

images are below:
    rub_2.jpg

video of that action:
    https://youtu.be/UBGnXiwIOgI

Than you.
    Last edited by dvsrk; 03-14-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default Re: discus rubbing towards objects

Hello dvsrk,

Your temperature is not warm enough for discus, the better range is 84-86F. When you say your PH and Ammonia are in range, what are the exact readings? Also, please give Nitrite and Nitrate readings too.
    I had discus that use to skim off the plants and ornaments in my tank, it was a water quality issue. Your water change size 90% might be too much, leaving no good beneficial bacteria in the water, as funny as that sounds.
    I'm not an expert but i think you will find its your water quality that's causing that rubbing on the objects. I hope a more experienced member comes along soon to help

Registered Member

I have updated my post with water metrics...

Its possible that your 90% wc is putting too much dissolved gases into the tank.These gases then form micro.bubbles on the gill and cause the irritation of it. Aging your water 24 hours with heat and aeration could be something to try....many here do this.

Alternatively smaller more frequent water changes can be used.

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi again dvsrk,

Thank you for updating water test results, as I suspected your water quality isn't right. Though I'm not familiar with that Ammonia reading of 0.1, I assume you use the API master test kit?
    Secondly your Nitrate is 0 which means you have lost your cycle, I would say that's because of the large water changes, water changes that big are unnecessary unless something is wrong with your water or your fish. Smaller more frequent ones are better, something like 30-40% every 2-3 days.
    The best time to check your water readings is first thing in the morning before you feed your fish, its the most accurate time to do so.
    You need to regain your cycle, the best way to do so quickly is to buy a bottle of Fluval Cycle, its beneficial bacteria in a bottle. Follow the instructions on the bottle for best results, with minimal water changes during treatment.
    The water readings you are wanting to work towards will be, 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite and 5.0-20 Nitrate, these show your tank is cycled.
    Any questions please ask

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

The ammonia reading could be a false positive (from using a de-clhorator) and I suspect the lack of nitrates could be from the test being performed just after a water change or the test not be conducted correctly (if using the API master fresh water kit).

Try testing just before a water change and if you are using the API master fresh water kit follow the directions for nitrates carefully.

Also bacteria does not live in the water column. It lives in the filter media.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 03-15-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Couldn't that behavior be cause by a parasite?
    Jay

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Couldn't that behavior be cause by a parasite?
    Jay
    Yes is could. Gill or body flukes.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Well guys, could be a parasite but best to rule out water first, especially this time of year.

A good question for dvsrk is how long have the fish been in the tank and were there any new fish etc added. This is why the disease questionnaire is so handy.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I agree with Al’s recommendation to age your water. I change between 60-80% of my water daily using aged, heated and aerated water. Also note that 82 F is within the practiced range. There are many threads on the forum that discuss temperature ranges for discus. Some of the pros on this forum gave me the advice to use the nitrite/nitrate test that Seachem offers. It reads very accurately. The API test might not show any low level presence of nitrate. Worked great for me! Again, several threads on this here on the forum as well.

Good luck!!

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hello dvsrk,

Your temperature is not warm enough for discus, the better range is 84-86F. When you say your PH and Ammonia are in range, what are the exact readings? Also, please give Nitrite and Nitrate readings too.
    I had discus that use to skim off the plants and ornaments in my tank, it was a water quality issue. Your water change size 90% might be too much, leaving no good beneficial bacteria in the water, as funny as that sounds.
    I'm not an expert but i think you will find its your water quality that's causing that rubbing on the objects. I hope a more experienced member comes along soon to help
    Hi,the % of WC has nothing to with BB.The BB is not in the water column,but on all surfaces of the system(just like plaque on your teeth) .Here I just aerate and heat my water for a least a day,with no conditioners cause my city only uses chlorine and that airs off along with the gasses.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 03-15-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Registered Member

After reading through all your responses I think the filter cleaning which I did last Saturday might have disturbed the good bacteria. Here are the things I'm going to start with,

1) setting my tank temperature between 84F to 86F.
    2) reducing my level of water changes from 90% to 50% 3X a week.
    3) i'm going to add fluval cycle to build up my good bacteria colonies.

I will keep a close eye with these changes & post you the outcome in a week or two. Appreciate all your valuable thoughts & suggestions.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi all,
    Thank you for the corrections, I stand corrected but also will add that I find it especially hard to believe there is no BB in the actual water of a fish tank, I am very aware its mainly in the filters, substrate and on décor.
    If the OP is still reading this thread here are the instructions for the API master test kit.
    Shake each bottle before use, starting with your PH bottle. Then onto the Ammonia bottles, add ammonia bottle number 1 to the test tube, then straight after add ammonia bottle number 2, shake for 1 minute. Now to the Nitrite bottle, add the drops to the test tube, shake. With the Nitrate bottles, add bottle 1 drops, cap it, then shake both the test tube and the bottle number 2 for 1 minute, shake fast, then add bottle number 2 drops, again shake fast for 1 minute. Let the Nitrate tube sit for 5 minutes next to the chart before you compare readings to be true. I will say again, the best time to do a water test is in the morning BEFORE you feed your fish, the reason this is the most accurate time is because if you take test readings after you feed your fish your test results will show ammonia.

Registered Member

I think all steps i have mentioned didn't solve the problem & i think its getting worse ... & today on a closer look i have noticed pale white patches on the discus and i'm doubting it is fungal infection and I can see this only at an angle.

I have attached the picture below. Can someone please take a look & let me know how to proceed.

white_patch.jpg
    Last edited by dvsrk; 03-22-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

[QUOTE=dvsrk;1284211]I think all steps i have mentioned didn't solve the problem & i think its getting worse ... & today on a closer look i have noticed pale white patches on the discus and i'm doubting it is fungal infection and I can see this only at an angle.

I have attached the picture below. Can someone please take a look & let me know how to proceed.

What happened to your dicsus after they started loosing their slime and getting bacterial infections?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast