AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Help

Hi Sabrina, sorry about the fish. Were you doing 100% water changes on the tank twice a day. I am guessing the fish passed from toxic ammonia and nitrite as the tank had no cycle. Were you testing the water? I am not trying to be harsh but being aware of these things is important as a discus keeper.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Pat,
    Your right, I was doing 2 water changes but the tank was not cycled, I had been using the Fluval Cycle in it though so I thought it was safe in that respect. No I did not test the water in the hospital tank. So I guess I killed my poor little fish :'(
    Perhaps the use of the Prime, Fluval Cycle and Medication all at once was a toxic combination? I feel depressed about this now.

Real Name
    Pat

I am not trying to make you feel bad Sabrina. In such a small tank the ammonia/nitrite can reach toxic levels quickly. Next time test several times a day if possible. The best size for a QT tank for one discus is 20 gallons. Gives you a little breathing room.
    Pat

Real Name
    Sabrina

Ok I will sell this little tank, its far to small to begin with, I brought it in a huff to try to save my fish. Do I need to throw all filter media in the trash and replace it? I will sterilize the tank with apple cider vinegar later today.
    A tank of 20 gallons is too expensive here just for a hospital tank, I can however buy a 2 foot tank which is the size normally used for sumps in bigger tanks, I personally think that is big enough. I'm going to buy another air pump and medium
    size sponge filter to run in one of my main tanks so that I always have a fully cycled filter to swap out into the hospital tank in an emergency. I know your not making me feel bad Pat, but this could have been avoided if I was set up correctly to begin with.

Real Name
    Pat

I would simply sterilize the filter media with vinegar also.
    Pat

Real Name
    Sabrina

Cheers Pat! I will do so later today and then sell that little death trap.

Real Name
    Mervin

You don't have to buy a new hospital tank.There must be a Craigslist or kijiji in your area for second one.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Blue, I have a friend I sold a 2 foot tank to months ago for her daughter to have fish, they have not used the tank at all yet, I just sent her a message to call me. I'm going to offer her the little tank I brought in a swap for the 2 foot set up I gave her. I hope she accepts the deal

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    I just woke up form a nap to find Tangerine was dead
    Sorry Sabrina

Real Name
    Sabrina

Thank you George, the poor little guy didn't have a chance the way I handled it

Real Name
    Sabrina

I cleaned the filter from the hospital tank in a vinegar solution this morning, only to find that hidden in the cage of white sponge media was carbon! So the medicine I used would have been in vain. I cant believe I double checked all the media in the filter system and missed the carbon hidden inside the white media, god give me strength!

We have all been though beginner problems of our own. We learn from them and move on. It's the people who don't learn from their mistakes who don't last in the hobby.

I know that it was hard on you but now you know what you did wrong. Stop staring at your feet and lift your chin up. You know more now that you did before this happened.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Sabrina

Cheers Liz, thank you for the stern words. Your right, I have learned a lesson here and I will be in a better position if it happens again. Have a nice day

I didn't mean to come across as stern. I expected to come across as kind. Everyone here has made a mistake and killed fish. If old timers deny that they are not being truthful. The old timers are old timers because they learn from their screw ups.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Sabrina

Its ok, they were also kind words too. Yes, I imagine everyone has had a bad day at some point and learned a lesson or two as well, it can be a difficult hobby to adjust too. No such thing as throwing a fish in water and feeding it each day, its so much more than that if done correctly. If done correctly its actually a big job keeping fish I have found, but once you know the basics things become a little easier, then its just a matter of keeping up with the maintenance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12