AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sudden death of Discus Fry

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Maher

Default Sudden death of Discus Fry

Hi..
    This is the first time I try breeding discus in a serious way..
    I have a pair with fry kept with the parents, they are now 2 weeks old from free swimming (started free swimming on 3rd March)..
    Until 14 March; I did not lose any fry, all were good and happy with the parents, on that day I came home from work, to find some fry are swimming away from parents, few hours later all were dead (around 10)..
    from 14 March up to now, I again did not lose any fry, but before one hour, I noticed that one fry started to swim away from parents, 20 minutes later, I picked 4 dead fry from the tank..
    before 2 hours all were swimming good, happy, and attaching to the parents with no issues.

The breeding tank is 100L, I had to lower the water level since the dad was pushing the mother to lay eggs after 2 days of free swimming, so I can say the tank is having around 60L water..I feed BH twice a day..
    WC is 50% twice a day..

Anything I can do?

Water Parameters are:
    Ammonia & Nitrite are zero.

Ph 7.6
    TDS 380
    (yeh I have a hatch rate of around 90% with high ph & TDS)..

Any help would be appreciated..

Note: Just now I noticed another 2 are swimming away from parents..

Real Name
    Kevin

Default Re: Sudden death of Discus Fry

Do you notice if the fry turn darker before dying? Also, gill flukes can be deadly to young fry and it always seems to hit a few weeks after free swimming in my case. A scrape of a dead fry's gill plate under a microscope would be the first thing that I would check.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Maher

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    Do you notice if the fry turn darker before dying? Also, gill flukes can be deadly to young fry and it always seems to hit a few weeks after free swimming in my case. A scrape of a dead fry's gill plate under a microscope would be the first thing that I would check.
    Thanks Kevin,
    for the color, no it was normal, I even felt very sorry since 2 of the lost fry today were completely white with single black spot on..
    Anyway, for checking under a microscope, I am not sure how to do this or where to get a microscope, I will try Mr. Google to see how to do it, and will see around me how to get a microscope..but in case it was gill flukes, anything can be done? I mean can those fry survive medications?

Real Name
    Kevin

You can purchase a quality microscope on Amazon for about 80 bucks nowadays. To do a scrape just take a glass slide and scrape it underneath the gills of the fry and then look for anything moving under the scope. If it is flukes or any other parasite then the parents will have to be treated because that is where the fry would have received them from.

Real Name
    Scott

I have had a few fry darken and then find them the next morning dead. They always appear smaller than the rest of the fry. Is that just weak fry? Or is it gill fluke?