ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in the Hobby after 8 years and got a Stocking/Equip List Please Advise

Registered Member

Red face Back in the Hobby after 8 years and got a Stocking/Equip List Please Advise

Hello there! Glad to have my gills wet again! As the tiel reads you know what's up. I have kept the general predator fish i.e. Oscars, Texas Cichlid, Arowana, Clown Knife, etc. and then made my way over the African Cichlids (Assorted). Then I fell off because of the lack of time I had for them.
    Well I am a bit older and more of a homebody who likes tranquility, and what better way than to have a fish with some personality and one that won't eat or in constant quarrel with its tankmates. Therefore I am going with Discus and some Angels with others in the mix, will provide full context.
    I am aware of their needs and am no stranger to the nitrogen cycle or syphons. I am jumping in this well informed having gotten advice from all the youtubers and whatnot. So here goes the context.

From Houston Texas (Water from tap PH 7.4 , KH ~80 ppm , GH ~140-160)
    90 Gallon Aqueon Aquarium with glass tops
    48" Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium
    40" Birch Black Stain Stand
    Eheim 2217 (600)
    Hydor Koralia 600 (600 GPH) Should I get the 800/800GPH?
    Eheim 250 Watt Heater
    UV Sterilizer? Does this matter much?

I plan to house Discus as mentioned prviously in the following stokcking list:
    20 Cardinal Tetras
    2 Roseline Sharks
    1 Shortfin Betta
    3 Albine Bristlenose Catfish
    5 Cory Cats
    2 Bamboo Shrimp
    2 Black Angelfish
    8 Discus
    (I would also like to add a few snails if possible)

I also plan to aquascape it with a few small batches of some beginner plants like:
    Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
    Anubias
    Crypts
    Jungle Val

Is this realistic?
    I would plan to do about 20-30 gallon water changeds every week. Thanks for the advice in advance!
    Last edited by Señor Discus; 03-18-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default Re: Back in the Hobby after 8 years and got a Stocking/Equip List Please Advise

Hello and welcome to the site and back to the hobby! Exciting times ahead I'm sure

With your equipment, I'm not experienced enough to comment, hopefully someone else post about that for you.
    With your stock, the sharks raise a red flag to me with discus, I'm not sure they are compatible. You may need to check temperature compatibility with the Betta, Bristlenose and shrimps, as discus like warmer waters than most tropical fishes.
    The plants sound good, I love live plants.
    Depending on what size discus you buy will determine how many water changes a week you will need to do.
    I hope some of this was helpful, and that other more experienced members will chime in soon to help

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Back in the Hobby after 8 years and got a Stocking/Equip List Please Advise

Hi and welcome Senor discus.

If you want a good looking discus community tank right from the start , you should start with grown discus + 5" size .
    With your given WC regime this is way too much bioload for your sistem . You should either cut it down to 6 discus only with a 20- 30 tetra fish , or consider much more WC % if you want to stick to your current stocking list .
    About the other fish - Angels don't do well in small numbers - 6 should be minimal . The same goes for Rose.sharks and they are considered too boisterous for discus also.
    Bamboo shrimps don't do well in pristine water conditions that discus like .
    So I would try to keep it simple IIWY and stick to only discus and tetras .

Your light source is fine ,
    800 gph would be enough flow ,
    Plant selection is fine without Lileopsis B.

Good luck .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hello and welcome to the site and back to the hobby! Exciting times ahead I'm sure

With your equipment, I'm not experienced enough to comment, hopefully someone else post about that for you.
    With your stock, the sharks raise a red flag to me with discus, I'm not sure they are compatible. You may need to check temperature compatibility with the Betta, Bristlenose and shrimps, as discus like warmer waters than most tropical fishes.
    The plants sound good, I love live plants.
    Depending on what size discus you buy will determine how many water changes a week you will need to do.
    I hope some of this was helpful, and that other more experienced members will chime in soon to help
    Yeah I was worried about the sharks being too fidgety if you will for the discus but I has seen them housed with them before in some youtube videos and at the fish store so I figured why not. Filip informed me of the necessities of the bamboo shrimp and will be withholding them from my stocking list. I just researched the betta: Water Parameters and it says 76 to 82ºF, soft and slightly acidic water. I think they will do well?

I also checked on the bristlenose plecos and their max temps hover at just about 80ºF so that may be a no go. Any other algae eaters someone can suggest if albino bristles aren't compatible with discus?

Thank you for your time to respond. It is greatly appreciated.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hi and welcome Senor discus.

If you want a good looking discus community tank right from the start , you should start with grown discus + 5" size .
    With your given WC regime this is way too much bioload for your sistem . You should either cut it down to 6 discus only with a 20- 30 tetra fish , or consider much more WC % if you want to stick to your current stocking list .
    About the other fish - Angels don't do well in small numbers - 6 should be minimal . The same goes for Rose.sharks and they are considered too boisterous for discus also.
    Bamboo shrimps don't do well in pristine water conditions that discus like .
    So I would try to keep it simple IIWY and stick to only discus and tetras .

Your light source is fine ,
    800 gph would be enough flow ,
    Plant selection is fine without Lileopsis B.

Good luck .
    I was thinking about getting some full growns or about 70 a piece at the LFS, they are of good quality in my opinion. I watched this video from Joey of King of DIY https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8 and used this to judge the quality. So if I were to keep lets say:
    6 Discus
    20 Cardinal Tetras
    5 Cory Cats
    2 Algae Eaters of some sort (autos?)

Thank you so much for helping me out Filip! Also why no Lileopsis? Too invasive?

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hello again Senor
    The Betta in my opinion would be a risk, male or female, they are fighting fish after all, though there is no knowing how they might act with discus, I guess you could try and see what happens, but personally I wouldn't take the risk.
    With an algae eater, a lot of discus keepers have Pleco suckremouth catfish, I'm not sure of their exact name but they are not the bristlenose type.
    And your very welcome, please keep asking the questions and I'm sure you will get the right answers

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hello again Senor
    The Betta in my opinion would be a risk, male or female, they are fighting fish after all, though there is no knowing how they might act with discus, I guess you could try and see what happens, but personally I wouldn't take the risk.
    With an algae eater, a lot of discus keepers have Pleco suckremouth catfish, I'm not sure of their exact name but they are not the bristlenose type.
    And your very welcome, please keep asking the questions and I'm sure you will get the right answers
    I see what you mean about the betta. I was more concerned about their water parameters than their temperment. I will consider this. Yes I have read up on them and it seems as though the bristlenose seem to stay on the smaller side. I was wondering why this was one of the most commonly seen pleco with Discus.

Any word on snails? I just read something about perhaps some nerites or Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

I just need something for algae!

Real Name
    Sabrina

I have no clue about snails sorry, I would hate to think a discus might try eating one and get poisoned or something, I honestly don't know. The only thing I have for algae is elbow grease lol I have a pole with sponge and scrubber on it

Real Name
    Patty

I made the mistake of getting discus from LFS. There are some good stickies here on “what not to buy” that I would read first. $70/each sounds cheap for full grown discus. How big are they? Maybe it’s true that everything’s bigger in Texas. Maybe take a pic of the discus at LFS and post here prior to buying? Is there gravel in the tank? Plants? Most LFS are unable to keep up with the wc needs of discus. Check out the sponsors here for excellent quality fish. I bought from Kenny and was thrilled with the quality, beauty, and selection. I could have saved a lot of money if I statrted there, instead of ending up in the emergency room section. I’ve had mine over a yr & 1/2 and I’ve only had one get sick recently and he is now back with his mates. Good luck! These fish should come with a warning as they are addictive and there’s no cure for it!

Real Name
    Sabrina

These fish should come with a warning as they are addictive and there’s no cure for it!

Haha

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I made the mistake of getting discus from LFS. There are some good stickies here on “what not to buy” that I would read first. $70/each sounds cheap for full grown discus. How big are they? Maybe it’s true that everything’s bigger in Texas. Maybe take a pic of the discus at LFS and post here prior to buying? Is there gravel in the tank? Plants? Most LFS are unable to keep up with the wc needs of discus. Check out the sponsors here for excellent quality fish. I bought from Kenny and was thrilled with the quality, beauty, and selection. I could have saved a lot of money if I statrted there, instead of ending up in the emergency room section. I’ve had mine over a yr & 1/2 and I’ve only had one get sick recently and he is now back with his mates. Good luck! These fish should come with a warning as they are addictive and there’s no cure for it!
    I may have jumped the gun on full grown, but they are between 4 and 5 inches. Here are a couple I saw at one of my LFS with a decent selection

These are a couple from one of the 3 LFS that have decent discus for 70 each. I would order them and I may even do that but I just really enjoy picking them out at the store. It is so exciting going in to a store and knowing you are able to buy something. I may order a couple though as I want a red turquoise with the bars on it, and I also want a Golden Sunrise or a Marlboro red. I found a sweet looking snake skin one I may scoop up when I get this thing established but we shall see. All the discus I have seen at my LFS's have been between 4 and 5 inches.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Since you live in Houston, TX., checkout the Houston Aquarium Warehoouse, 12999 Murphy Rd., Stafford, Tx. 77477, 281.741.9688. I got a few discus from there a couple of yrs. ago. I would start out with an bare bottom tank and cardinal tetra's and a few sterbai cories. Some driftwood with anibus plant attached. Maybe a amazon sword plant in an clay pot. Enjoy the hobby and go for it. Save money and you don't need an UV, because of the frequent water changed you will be doing....

Real Name
    Filip

- Starting with 4-5 inch discus will give you less headaches along the way .

-Those LFS discus from the photos looks decent to start with IMO .

-Lilaeopsis B. Is a fairly demanding and carpeting plant on top of that , and carpets collect a lot of dirt and hard too keep it clean .

-Any other fish or plant that comes from another source or tank ,poses a potential risk for cross contaminating your discus . That's why I would hesitate to mix too many fish from different tanks with discus .My Point is : Is one Betta or other diether fish fish worth the risk ?
    Last edited by Filip; 03-22-2018 at 05:02 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Since you live in Houston, TX., checkout the Houston Aquarium Warehoouse, 12999 Murphy Rd., Stafford, Tx. 77477, 281.741.9688. I got a few discus from there a couple of yrs. ago. I would start out with an bare bottom tank and cardinal tetra's and a few sterbai cories. Some driftwood with anibus plant attached. Maybe a amazon sword plant in an clay pot. Enjoy the hobby and go for it. Save money and you don't need an UV, because of the frequent water changed you will be doing....
    I was going to go there when my girlfriend and I were touring all the fish stores here, we just didn't have time to get to that one. Thanks for the advice, I will check it out and save my money on the UV!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    - Starting with 4-5 inch discus will give you less headaches along the way .

-Those LFS discus from the photos looks decent to start with IMO .

-Lilaeopsis B. Is a fairly demanding and carpeting plant on top of that , and carpets collect a lot of dirt and hard too keep it clean .

-Any other fish or plant that comes from another source or tank ,poses a potential risk for cross contaminating your discus . That's why I would hesitate to mix too many fish from different tanks with discus .My Point is : Is one Betta or other diether fish fish worth the risk ?
    Why would starting with 4-5" discus be less of a headache? Isn't it cool to see them grow up?

This was one of the stores that had the not so best of the best. I would have to say that was X-treme Fish and Pets or the Fish Gallery.

I see your point about the lila. I was honestly wanting a carpeting plant as they look cool, but I could see how they can be a pain to keep clean.

I see what you mean about the big mix. I am going to keep it simple. I got my stocking list, it is just on the computer at work. I will post it tomorrow though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast