ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Cloudy eye from injury

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Catherine

Default Cloudy eye from injury

Hi folks, looking for some advice (well, of course ) Although not new to tropicals, we are new to discus. A steep, and fast, learning curve - although I've been reading about them and their care for years, had never taken the final step.

Issue: Discus with cloudy eye, probably from physical trauma

Background:
    Adult, came to us 6 weeks ago as part of a school needing urgent rehoming. He'd been in a QT for a time with the previous owner, but I don't know for how long. Original tank 750 litres, BB, some driftwood hardscape, 28.5 degreees celcius, constant pH, 250 litre sump , drip exchange water change, 3 other discus in school. Half of a mated pair.

Prev owner had noticed a raised red growth at the join of one pectoral (?) fin to the body, and had placed in QT. No treatment given beyond quarantining. Eye on same side as growth had gone cloudy.

Treatment:
    We put him into a BB, low light hospital tank and observed him swimming and feeding for a few days. No problems feeding, and keen to take food from my hand. Frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and a home-made mixture from a recipe on the NZ discus keeping forum, by a reputable breeder. However, he wasn't keen on using the affected fin for swimming, and had developed a bit of a drunken list to one side for this reason. Tried hard though, and would occasionally stop for a lean on the filter, before heading off around the tank again.

50% water changes every day.

After much reading, we gave him a 3 day course of Acriflavine. This seemed to provide some temporary relief, and he was beginning to use the fin again, but the growth remained, and began to develop a cottony aspect as well. A week-long course of Pimafix, coupled with continuing daily water changes, and the growth has disappeared. He is happily using the fin for swimming and has been moved to a larger (215 litre) tank, which he seems to be more comfortable in. Still BB, still low light, and still large daily WC regime. No hardscape.

However, the eye remains clouded, and he obviously can't see out of it, because when looking for food on the bottom of the tank he turns horizontally until the good eye is pointing down and he can see food. Similarly, he will rush up to me when I come to the tank - if he has his good eye facing outward when I'm in the vicinity. I can see that the eye is still moving - the cloud is not completely opaque and i can see the darker colouration of the pupil - and it has not 'popped' either.

I'm almost certain that the whole issue was caused by physical injury. He has some scarring above the eye, vertically, which suggests trauma in that general area. There were also scars around the pectoral, but those are no longer visible.

So, all this is a very long-winded way of asking if there is any chance the eye might recover in time? I would obviously like to eventually rejoin him with a school, but in his current condition I think that's inadvisable - he'd never compete for food, and it would probably be a quick downhill ride. I have read that eye injuries may recover - would love to hear people's thoughts. Please let me know if I haven't provided sufficient information.

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default Re: Cloudy eye from injury

Hi Cate, welcome to the boards
    Sounds like your doing everything you can for this little guy, good on you. I am not experienced in illness or injuries so I cant help, I wish I could. I hope someone else here can help you soon. Best of luck with him

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Catherine

Thanks Sabrina. So, an update. This poor chap - he's been good for a while, and then two days ago he became listless again. The site of the original pectoral growth, which had disappeared, is now displaying a raised pimple-like white growth. He's not nearly as lively, although is eating some, and excreting. We've started the Pimafix again, since that seemed to give good results last time - perhaps we simply needed a longer dose.

The water couldn't BE any cleaner; although we've moved from a 50% regime down to 30% daily, ammonia and nitrItes at 0, nitrAtes ~20. Using Prime with each aged WC, also Replenish as water is close to RO (rainwater). Tank at 29.5C (85.1F), lots of aeration, over-filtered. Medium flow, which he can get away from if needed.

I'm kind of relieved I don't have children. The worry over sick fish is bad enough, I have no idea how I'd cope with unwell kids!

Real Name
    Sabrina

Sorry to hear he is not doing well again, I hope he comes around with this treatment again for you.
    Everything else sounds spot on, your doing a great job!
    I also don't have kids, and agree I wouldn't cope with sick kids as I cant cope with sick fish lol
    Keep us updated if you can