AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hello from New Zealand

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Catherine

Default Hello from New Zealand

Hi folks, new discus keepers here - not entirely by choice, but learning fast and doing ok so far! Our initial group was a rehome, which included one who went straight into a hospital tank, and a juvenile who is also in a 160 litre tank by him(her)self. (Bit worried about that, but don't know if I should put more juveniles in at this stage - he/she's been in there for a number of weeks now)

We live rurally, and our water is rainwater. That has its advantages - pH of 6.0/6.2, kH 30ppm, GH also very low, and TDS of 0... but also disadvantages - still trying to find a consistent natural buffer for the kH that isn't baking soda, for example. And as you can imagine, I do have to do some remineralisation with each WC.

This... uh... upsizing of my favoured hobby has suddenly got my husband interested in a big way. I guess because discus are so much larger and are happy to interact with us - I'm not complaining, because after about a week, he said 'these guys need a bigger tank'. YAY! So we jumped on the local version of eBay, and found an 850 litre (220 gal) second-hand custom build, with stand and 250 litre sump, very cheap. That's in the process of being cleaned and leak-tested, while we figure out how to rebuild the broken overflow. Nights spent watching YouTube clips, how romantic!

Anyway, I've heard a lot about this site, and look forward to extending my knowledge with the resources here.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Hello from New Zealand

Welcome to Simply discus.
    You've heard right about this place. Lots of good people and information. Take a good look around particularly in the beginners section. There is lots of valid information for you to start up. Also a great video clip you can watch with hubbie.

Oh...you need to post photos....

Good luck with your project. Cant wait to see that jumbo tank all set up.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Joe Zammit
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Welcome to the addiction! I see multiple tank syndrome has already started to take hold.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Catherine

Haha, yes, well multiple tank addiction was already in full swing; moving into this lovely species has simply exacerabted it somewhat!

A huge welcome to simplydiscus, Catherine !!

Always great to hear a newcomer to discus accept the challenge of 'kicking things up a notch' by getting a much larger tank to house a greater number of our beloved beauties ! And hubby picking up interest too - that's wonderful.

Anything you want/need to know - just holler.

All the best to you,
    Regards,
    Paul