ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Spoiled discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Default Spoiled discus

Hello I give my discus live bloodworms and they are in love with them but I would rather get them to eat frozen blood worms instead... I put frozen bloodworms in and they just spit them out and want the real good stuff lol how do I transition them over to frozen?

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default Re: Spoiled discus

Have you tried the freeze dried black worms that come in cubes? You can stick the cube to the glass and they peck at it.. Like in my video here for my baby discus..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVYoO8gKH8w

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Have you tried the freeze dried black worms that come in cubes? You can stick the cube to the glass and they peck at it.. Like in my video here for my baby discus..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVYoO8gKH8w
    \

+ 1.. These are great https://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/main.sc

Real Name
    Patty

+1 Mine love them. I get the spinach mix and it’s their favorite. I’ve read here to introduce a new food in the morning when they are hungriest.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Feeding them first thing in the morning a new food is a great idea, I will keep that in mind for my home made foods

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Christian55 View Post
    Hello I give my discus live bloodworms and they are in love with them but I would rather get them to eat frozen blood worms instead... I put frozen bloodworms in and they just spit them out and want the real good stuff lol how do I transition them over to frozen?
    You might check around in the food section or do a search, but bloodworms are considered to have a large water content and are not very high in nutritional value. More of a treat. Live foods are more often sources of pathogens, too. Just passing on what I've read here. You have to be more stubborn than the fish when trying to get them to eat new foods. They can go a long time without eating, so you just have to feed them what you want them to eat, clean it up if they don't eat it, and try again later. Eventually they usually come around. I like the freeze dried blackworms.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

I started feeding my discus Dan's black worms...now they won't eat anything else lol. Dan has some great worms and I don't have a problem with them. As Steve mentioned you have to be very careful with live food they can carry pathogens, Dan guarantees his worms have none as they are farm raised. IF your gonna give them live worms i would research Dan's California Blackworms and switch to them. He delivers and they arrive fresh and stay fresh for weeks as long as you care for them properly by cleaning daily. Dan even provides keepers, or baskets to keep them in and clean them with. Good luck.