ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Will parents re-pair if moved?

Registered Member

Default Will parents re-pair if moved?

Hello All,

I have a proven pair (produced free swimmers) that I may need to put back in my display tank for a month or two. If I do this and then later put them back into their own breeding tank, will they pair up again? Will it be like they're pairing up for the first time (i.e. take forever) or will they get back into the swing of things more readily?

Of course there's no way to know for certain till it's done. But any experience that can be shared from similar situations will be helpful to make a decision.

Thank you!

Default Re: Will parents re-pair if moved?

From what I've read & heard, coupled with my own experience, it's not certain, but quite likely, they will resume just where they left off, and begin spawning again with no hiccups.

Real Name
    Willie

Adult discus of different sexes, when put together, will often spawn. When I pair up adults, they'll usually spawn within one week. If they don't spawn within a week, then they're not compatible. It doesn't have anything to do with whether they had previously paired.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

When adults of different sexes are put together, and they spawn, or don't spawn, based on compatibility, has no bearing on, or nothing to do with, whether or not a previously mated pair will spawn together again, when put together once more after having been separated for a period of time.
    If they were compatible in the first place, there's no reason why they wouldn't be compatible a second time around - particularly when a cognitive factor may well come into play, as for any animal species. That's my view.

Real Name
    Jeff

They will pretty much always re-pair. That being said nothing is guaranteed sometimes they wont. Sometimes you will keep a pair together and they will just stop spawning and never start again. Nothing is set in stone. I wouldn't want to put a percentage on anything but a pair reforming after being separate is probably something over 90%. If they don't pair back up there are methods of trying to force them to re-pair that will usually work too.

Registered Member

Thank you everyone for the feedback! It's good to hear from other people's experience.

Registered Member

What if one of the pair dies, can one find another for the remaining discus? One jumped out and died. Heart broken as they were already a pair.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
    What if one of the pair dies, can one find another for the remaining discus? One jumped out and died. Heart broken as they were already a pair.
    Yes, if you can find another receptive mate, they'll might get together eventually