ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: NH3 / NH4 problem - losing the battle

Real Name
    Casper

Question NH3 / NH4 problem - losing the battle

Hey everyone

I haven't been on for over a year, as I had to go abroad for some time.
    Anyway, I hope everyone (and their discus) are happy

Ofcourse I setup my tank when I got back home, and everything has been fine for months.

About a month ago, I noticed my discus were a little shy so tested the water asap, and noticed some fairly high ammonia readings, and some nitrite.
    I thought the cause was a little to good a cleaning of the filter a few days earlier, so some good big water changes would take of the problem in a couple of days.
    To be sure I added another canisterfilter.

Now, this was about 4 weeks ago, and still having issues.
    2 days ago I got hold of a big pile of used filterfloss, from a friend and added that to my filter.
    Last night, I did a 40%ish WC, but today the ammonia is again 0.5 ppm (0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate - running a planted tank, with a decent amount of plantmass so some nitrate gets used).

I currently only see two option:

Something is killing the good bacteria
    Something is rotten in the tank (below the gravel, somewhere).

My question is:

1. Should I continue the big waterchanges (as I have for a month without result).

2. Empty the tank, clean it, and see if something shows up? (filters and tubes, have been checked /clean).

Let me know what you think I should do, and if more information is needed about tank and setup.

Registered Member

Default Re: NH3 / NH4 problem - losing the battle

Any decaying organic matter exposed to water flow contributes to ammonia. It may be in your substrate, filter, or even your overflow (if you have one).

What is your pH?

Are you dosing anything with glutaraldehyde in it?

Real Name
    Casper

I'm aware how the decaying matter courses ammonia, and the nitrogen cycle works.
    I'm keeping a pretty clean tank, removing old / damaged leafs from plants sucking surface of gravel 3 times a week when doing WC (once a week I deep clean the front gravel, where most waste and left over food is - no plants here).
    I have more than once, been through the tank for any sign of dead stuff, but seen none.

I'm not familiar with 'glutaraldehyde' but a quick google search indicates its used in medicin - so none of that.

PH is 7.5 - dosing CO2 - not much around 15ppm. Only using microferts, as the macros are usually not an issue feeding high protein food, like beefheart.

I'm just stumped, that ammonia rises overnight, without feeding - I'd expect it to drop if anything (unless something big is decaying).

As stated, filters, hoses etc. are all clean. Substrate is possible but only if something has started going wierd in the back of the tank, and burried under it.

I'm afraid that removing everything will also destroy any beneficial bacteria in the substrate, and set me back even more.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mickie

Could it be that your BB could be dying off faster than it can replicate? Curious to find out what product you use for your BB.

Real Name
    Casper

My canisterfilters have the following:

1: Top tray: sponge (for debris) - 3 other trays: bioballs with finer sponge on top.

2: Top tray: sponge (for debris) - 2 trays with 'Eheim biomech' and filterfloss on top, last tray filterfloss only.

Volume of each filter is approx. 3 gallons.

I did a large WC last night and checked the ammonia an hour later and again this morning. No feeding in between. Hard to be sure due to lighting but if anything it has a little more ammonia this morning.
    Will test again when I get back from work today, and see any changes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mickie

I feel like I kind of went through a similar issue with my 36 gallon community tank. I would keep seeing nitrite spikes despite WC, adding more bacteria. Someone suggested switching BB to Tetra Safestart. I can't remember what product I was using at the time, but the person who helped me out said that the BB probably couldn't keep up to the demands of the tank. I switched to Safestart, the tank did a 1 day mini cycle, and I haven't seen nitrites in that tank for almost a year and a half.

This could be a better alternative than cleaning your whole tank out looking for the culprit.
    Last edited by RuinerM3; 03-21-2018 at 02:28 AM.

Registered Member

I've already tried 2 of thes BB in a bottle, most recently TTS, without result.

Depending on the test results later today there's either something decaying in the tank, or I have killed alot of BB when cleaning the canister.

I haven't had any nitrites at all which I would suspect if my BB colony was wiped out or heavily reduced.

I have ammonia/ammonium and nitrate readings.

Will update when test is done later

Have you tested your source water?

Real Name
    Casper

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Have you tested your source water?
    Yes. I even re-tested it after running through the hose I use during WC - no ammonia

Real Name
    Casper

Quote Originally Posted by CasperDK View Post
    Will update when test is done later
    Test is done. Had to go buy a new kit and this is another kind.

Good news is that ammonia levels are low. Not quite sure how much due to the artificial lighting, but closer to 0 than 0.25 as the test result is divided into, so maybe 0.1-ish.
    Guess this means, nothing is actually decaying in the tank, but maybe the feeding is more than my current BB can handle.

Still no nitrites, and almost none nitrates (big WC yesterday and plants are most likely the reason).

So, today I'll try feeding normal amount of beafheart followed by a small WC / clean up - and test again in the morning and see if anything has changed.

Inhabitants are active and currently going crazy at the front glass waiting for dinner. Except one which I haven't seen since yesterday morning - hiding in the back
    Last edited by kilnakorr; 03-21-2018 at 02:10 PM.