ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycled sponge shipping

Real Name
    Steve

Default Cycled sponge shipping

I've read some folks gets cycled sponges from their vendors. What are the sponge's requirements for shipping?

Registered Member

Default Re: Cycled sponge shipping

To keep the bacteria alive (which is what makes it cycled) it needs to be constantly moist, and because the bacteria are aerobic, they need oxygen, but since the air we breath is 21% oxygen, just putting a decent amount of air in the bag is sufficient. The bacteria also need moderate temperatures throughout shipping, but will withstand colder temps. than many fish. To keep the bacteria alive for a long period without fish or other (food) source one could use water that has a small amount of Amonium chloride added to it to provide a food source, but that should only be needed if the shipping is going to take longer than a couple days.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks! How long after you introduce it to a virgin tank( all other parameters being adequate) would you think it would be safe to add fish? Or could you add a couple fish/ small load right away?

Real Name
    Willie

Immediately.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Steve

If you knew the fish was going to go in a tank that was not fully cycled on its own, would the addition of cycled sponge be a plus, or might it contribute a new bio-culture that could be harm...

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Willie. Our replies crossed. So, it's ready to go, eh?

I have gotten seeded filter sponges from a sponsor here and used them on an uncycled tank. I did large water changes every day and had no issues. I am actually about to do it again on my quarantine tank with new fish coming.

-Mark

Real Name
    Willie

I personally think that this idea of cross contamination through "naturally" cycled sponges is overblown. I keep multiple tanks, each with multiple sponges. I move sponges between tanks all the time. Local hobbyists stop by my house to get a cycled sponge for free. Never had a problem with disease transfer this way. The tank is either cycled or not cycled. Partial cycling does not really happen. If you're getting high ammonia or nitrite readings, put in a seeded sponge.

Good luck, Willie

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Immediately.
    Agreed, if you don't add fish immedialety the bacteria are going to go hungry and start to die off. If you don't add fish you should add ammonium chloride, but I would rather add fish.
    Also, I keep many sponges in tanks or sumps to use to seed filters, sumps or tanks, but biosecutity risks are low, because they are in systems with fish I have had long term with no issues.

Real Name
    Jeff

I wouldn't add a cycled sponge from say a LFS but from the breeder you purchase your fish from yes I wouldn't think twice, it will be the same bio load with the same pathogens the fish have grown up in and will cause no problem at all. This is making me wonder if there is an opportunity here for a sponsor to sell fishless cycled sponges. What would be the demand and how much would someone pay for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I personally think that this idea of cross contamination through "naturally" cycled sponges is overblown. I keep multiple tanks, each with multiple sponges. I move sponges between tanks all the time. Local hobbyists stop by my house to get a cycled sponge for free. Never had a problem with disease transfer this way. The tank is either cycled or not cycled. Partial cycling does not really happen. If you're getting high ammonia or nitrite readings, put in a seeded sponge.

Good luck, Willie
    Willie,

When quarantining new fish if I was to use a seeded sponge from my established tank wouldn't I be risking cross contamination? Does it not make sense to get a seeded sponge from the source of my new fish?
    - Mark

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks folks. I'm thinking of sending some of my own sponges when I shipping.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by above design View Post
    Willie,

When quarantining new fish if I was to use a seeded sponge from my established tank wouldn't I be risking cross contamination? Does it not make sense to get a seeded sponge from the source of my new fish?
    - Mark
    Sure there's a risk of cross contamination. But is your established tank diseased? If not, what's going to cause contamination? So if your fish looks fine, I wouldn't hesitate to move sponges around.

Willie

I keep 2 sponges in every tank so I always have one available. I haven't cycled a tank in years.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Filip

Getting your new discus or any other fish with seeded sponge from their own water system is the best way to start the tank IMO .
    You should do this Steve . You'll save your buyers a lot of cycling headaches .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast