AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Dilemma

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

Default Dilemma

About three weeks ago 2 of my discus started staying in the back corners of my tank and refusing to eat. The problem started after I began removing the substrate in my tank. So, I starting researching Simply archives for an answer. I came across an article written by discuspaul about Hexamita. In this article discuspaul talks about having some new Discus with the same problem. Discuspaul had some company and that company told him about using orange peels to help to get the discus eating again which they did . So I knew I had to treat my whole tank so I ate a oranges and through the peels in. I also added Clout to my tank . So after treating my tank for a week my Discus are eating again like pigs. This pass weekend I changed about 60 per cent of my tank water and cleaned the filter in my refugium but didn’t clean my fx6 . Next weekend I planned to do another wc and clean the fx6 this time. Well with what my tank went you would think that everything wasn’t clean enough but my Discus laid eggs. Now I don’t know what to do. Should I still do the wc or wait to do everything. My tank is a 125 and I have 11 Discus ? This is the second time that they have laid eggs I let them get eater by other fish . I can block off the area where they are but there seems to be 4 of them protecting the eggs so I don’t know which one have paired up. So I’m lost. Help!!

Real Name
    Jeff

Default Re: Dilemma

Do your normal water changing. Just let nature do its thing and you do your normal thing. If you want to raise the young you will have to move them to a breeding tank and then you can worry about preserving their spawns. In a community tank pay it no mind and just continue to keep it clean as you normally would.

Quote Originally Posted by SNap0283 View Post
    Do your normal water changing. Just let nature do its thing and you do your normal thing. If you want to raise the young you will have to move them to a breeding tank and then you can worry about preserving their spawns. In a community tank pay it no mind and just continue to keep it clean as you normally would.
    Fully agree with these comments.

Real Name
    Mervin

I usually destroy the eggs as some as there are layed.Gets the bickering/fighting over quicker.