ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally some Pics

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Finally some Pics

Hi George, can you separate him from the others? You might try placing him in a QT and raising the temp to about 88. Goal is to stimulate his appetite. What does his poop look like?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

It would be difficult to catch him Pat as my tank is huge and I can only access 1/2 tank at a time lol. If I had to I probably could get my daughter to tag team him out, if I had to, but that would create a lot of commotion. I do have a 50 gallon tank with a few tetras and couple of s. Colombian Zebra plecos i could move him to. It's hard to get the dead ones out of this tank Pat much less a live one lol. I have not seen him poop, but all the poop I see is dark. If he worsens I'll try and move him Pat, I also have a 25 gallon tank I can set up in 24 hours and use it strictly for a hospital tank. As of now he looks ok, swims the tank and eats a little. he doesn't look depressed or stressed, just thin...real thin kinda boney, beautiful colors tho.

Real Name
    Pat

For future reference George, I do not recall how large your tank is but with my 230 gallon (32 inches tall) I open both sides of the top and use two nets with 24 inch handles to catch discus. Lowering the water level helps also.

I suspect if you leave him he will simply decline further but maybe not.
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

My tank is 450 gallons Pat and 48 inches or four feet tall, its acrylic so it has a sealed top with two square openings in it at the top. The openings are about 20 inches by 20 inches. I have a lot of driftwood also that will make it impossible to catch anything that hides in there. Your right I would lower the water level first. I also have to use a ladder to get up there. I think your going to be right about him not improving Pat and I will get him out if I see him worsen or start to suffer. I get more attached to the ones that are having problems than the healthy ones.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

The mating game continues, yesterday no one really ate. They all just hang around the intakes where Yellow laid her eggs, and the other striper, the suspected F1, is just dark and looks mad, and fights a little with the striper that Yellow lays eggs with. Yellow doesn't even hang around the intakes that much and is no longer laying eggs. All kinds of drama because two are in love and mating and the rest don't like it. The big female looks to be pairing up with the larger of the Blue Diamonds, he is the one that is growing faster than the rest, the large Blue diamond. Checked my water parameters and they are all good still the same. I'll go home today and give them a WC and a feeding and hope they can come around to creating less drama.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by geo57 View Post
    My tank is 450 gallons Pat and 48 inches or four feet tall, its acrylic so it has a sealed top with two square openings in it at the top. The openings are about 20 inches by 20 inches. I have a lot of driftwood also that will make it impossible to catch anything that hides in there. Your right I would lower the water level first. I also have to use a ladder to get up there. I think your going to be right about him not improving Pat and I will get him out if I see him worsen or start to suffer. I get more attached to the ones that are having problems than the healthy ones.
    Ouch. That is a tall tank. Hope you have long arms George
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Hope you have long arms George

Lol, not really but I have tools Pat. Anyhoo, the two lovers are still going at it and the rest are starting to go about their business as usual with out bothering them. The small stunted one is still eating a little, hangs out with the group at times and sometimes stays by himself. To QT him I believe would do no good and possibly cause him to get depressed and stress him out, IF he takes a turn for the worse then I'll set up a separate tank and treat him as best I can, I don't think he is ill, just bad genetics. I'm doing Water changes every other day and about 30% of the water, roughly 125 gallons and I clean my sand at every WC. The discus are doing great except for lil blu, i have lost a couple of tertras and another cory, the cory's just don't seem to do well in the higher temp, the tetras have been getting eaten.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Sad news, moved the small stunted discus to a hospital tank i set up Monday morning and he passed that nite. I had noticed that he had white poop and was getting more and more lethargic. I probably should have moved him sooner as Pat had suggested but I hesitated feeling it was going to be difficult getting him out and throw the whole tank in a frenzy. He was very easy to pull out, my bad. I'm a little depressed as I fell I let him down and did not act quickly enough to save him. I was wrong in thinking he was just stunted, he was also sick. Sucks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

It has been awhile since I last posted cause nothing has been going on. After little Blue died i medicated the entire 450gal tank. I had seen my largest Discus pooping white stringy poop so I didn't hesitate, I didn't want to start loosing them one at a time. After that all settled for a while. Then the mating couple started getting irritated at the larger blue diamond that i'll call big blue. Big Blue would keep picking fights with the mating male...then one day Blue disappeared...not for good but would not come out from the driftwood. A couple of weeks go by and i spot him by chance and see that he has a large chunk missing in between his eyes and forehead, ****, so I move him to hospital tank and he is doing fine, then i went and got 4 more discus from my brother-in-law. All are good. 9 discus in my main tank and one in hospital and all doing well. Big Blue should be ready in about another week or so to go back home.
    Last edited by geo57; 06-07-2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

20180708_174216.jpg20180708_174143.jpgI have a few more pics on my finished product, sorry I can't seem to take a pic of the entire tank at one time without moving way back and I do not have the space in room to move back more lol.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

I received more driftwood, this time a gift from my Bro-in-law, my fish love it and it quickly became their favorite area.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

As you can see in the upper pic, Big Blue got healthy and was moved back to main tank, then i pulled my largest spotted discus, Dimples, and placed her in quarantine for about a month as she had stringy white poop, she is healthy and moved her back too. Will not wait too long if I see any problems to react to them quickly and hopefully not loose anymore fish. They are all at this time doing great.

Real Name
    Filip

I'm glad all of your fish are well and have regained their appetites back George .
    They get more resilient as they grow , so I guess youll have less and less troubles in the future .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Thanx Filip, they're my babies.

I'd love a tank that big (mines a 55 gallon). Maybe one day when the wife allows it lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast