ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Ro filters become less efficient, right?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Ro filters become less efficient, right?

Just checking. As RO filters become more clogged, before back-flushing, do they reject more water? That is, what they can't keep up with filtering gets thrown away, so you're really losing a lot more water, and maybe faster?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Default Re: Ro filters become less efficient, right?

I have replaced membranes because there was a big increase in the waste-to-product ratio. I had put a valve on the waste line to throttle back the waste a little, and got lazy about flushing it. Usually you know the membrane is worn out when the TDS starts to climb, but I have seen an increase in waste water too.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Dan. I'm on a low-flow well with a holding tank. if I run my RO filters too long without flushing, and don't check my holding tank, I wake up one morning with no water. The rate of water use just outpaces the well's refill rate.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

My well sometimes shuts down too. It can run the ro continuously, but not when water is running for other things at the same time. I think what you are describing is a short term clogging that can be flushed out. Mine doesn't do that, its more of a slow build up that's permanent.

Registered Member

i go by pressure. follow manual for proper pressure. if that drops then its the membrane. however, igot a rise tds when my final di resin exhausts. in that case its not the membrane

Real Name
    Jim

Another way to track the condition of your membrane is with a TDS meter. When a membrane is new, your TDS should be somewhere below 10 (mine were always in the 3-4 range with the membranes I used). As the membranes clog up, the TDS will start to go up.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...