ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Trying to get a pair to lay again

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Trying to get a pair to lay again

I have a BD pair and have had them for about a year. They use to lay almost every 2 weeks but since they were with other discus I found that either they ate them or other discus did. I never expected them to hatch since it was tap water I was using. They stopped laying for about 6 months now and I have finally built a drip RO water system with a 60/40 ratio of RO/Tap. I have raised the temperature to about 86F. Everytime the temp drops my system turns on and cycles new RO/Tap heated water meaning they can get a WC often enough. I just put some phosphoric acid to drop the pH down a bit more. I have not completely plumbed the acid dosing system yet with the pH controller but I figured I could get away with the RO/Tap mixture, which it seems it hasn't. I put the acid into my Albino discus tank and they have become more aggressive towards breeding which I hope to get a pair out of them soon. Does anyone know any other way to induce breeding of a pair? I would post pics and videos but it seems like most free web hosting sites now want a monthly fee to host pics and videos.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: Trying to get a pair to lay again

Mike - if you're like me you always log straight into the forum section and bypass the main Simply home page. I'd suggest you go there instead and look up the list of tips for getting a pair to spawn that Al has there. It's about as good as it gets.

Personally I wouldn't mess with adjusting pH.
    President - North American Discus Association

If you can, try doing a big (at least 50%) water change with cooler water. A 10°F drop isn't excessive.

I agree with Keith 100% on pH.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I came home after work today to find them in the process of laying eggs again. The only thing I did was add phosphoric acid however I think that it would have dropped the pH for a day then went back up due to the WC frequency of my RO drip system on all the time. I did cover the eggs with mesh later on today to make sure that they have a chance to hatch rather than the parents eat the eggs. He is to hoping the eggs are fertile.