ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Wild Blues Not Eating

Registered Member

Default Wild Blues Not Eating

Hi all am new to this forum although I've kept discus for over 20 years. My current show tank is 130 gallons (Imp) and was stocked with 10 discus aged between 2 and 10 years old, I've had them all from young and through the same pet store. Last week I introduced 3 wild blues (4"to 5") which I'd had my colleague quarantine for 4 weeks as my QT is not functioning properly at present. The wilds appear healthy, no outward signs or white feces, and are not showing their stress bars, apart from when the others are fast swimming, or turning dark. Water parameters are stable; temp 30C, PH6.7, 80ppm TDS, NO325ppm, water changed 50% per week RO with Tropic Marine Re- Mineral Tropic, the same used for all the years I've had the discus and this tank. I cannot seem to get the wilds to eat, either bloodworm, discus diet or Tetra Discus granules, all the domestic varieties eat without a problem. There is no bullying and they don't appear stressed but two of them tend to swim alone together but come to the front of the tank when I approach it. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Wild Blues Not Eating

Check with your colleague to see of the wilds were eating with him and what was he feeding?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Check with your colleague to see of the wilds were eating with him and what was he feeding?
    Pat
    Hi Pat, he was feeding them the same and had no real issues, water parameters similar so nothing obvious. Looking at the now they look relaxed and normal color albeit they flash their stress bars around other fish if they're in close proximity but nothing more.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Branch View Post
    Hi Pat, he was feeding them the same and had no real issues, water parameters similar so nothing obvious. Looking at the now they look relaxed and normal color albeit they flash their stress bars around other fish if they're in close proximity but nothing more.
    Perhaps they need more time.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Okay will be patient and see. Many thanks

Its possible they are just intimidated by the existing fish in the tank. You may not see any bullying but Fish telegraph their dominance in other ways than out right attack... it can really set new fish back. I would definitely be patient and would focus more on the blood worms as their food item as they are far more lilkely to eat that than Pellets and Granules if they are newly caught wilds, IMO. Wilds also relish Blackworms in either the live or freeze dried variety.

HTH,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thank you for your comments I think you're on the money with that theory. One, I think the red, is eating the bloodworm happily whilst the two blues are still swimming alone but when the food goes in they check it out but then swim away as if not interested. I don't think 10 discus in a 600L tank is too much and the water parameters are stable so it must be either down to the food or the other fish. Their color when the tank is quiet remains bright. Don't think we have blackworms where we are but I tried frozen tubifex and also shrimp and I had to remove the food immediately as none of the fish ate them.