ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green water

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Default Green water

Hello my water has recently been quite green but my tank is clean and everything is reading right it’s just algae I think how do I make it clear should I get a flu allergy 406 canister filter for my 55 gallon?

Registered Member

Default Re: Green water

How new is your tank and how often are you doing water changes. Also how long do you keep your lights on

Real Name
    Mervin

Did you recently put it hear a window?The days are getting longer and brighter in the northern hemisphere.It is not a filter issue rather a light or nutrient issue.We need to know more about your tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    How new is your tank and how often are you doing water changes. Also how long do you keep your lights on

Yes my tank has been setup for about 2 weeks now and I did not cycle my tank(which I really regret) and I do water changes like every few days because the tank is not cycled and I used to keep them on from 6am to 9 pm which is way too long right?

Real Name
    Mervin

Yes,why too long,but also depends on how much light and type of bulb.That much light would be great with Lake Malawi cichlids;most of those fish love algae.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Yes,why too long,but also depends on how much light and type of bulb.That much light would be great with Lake Malawi cichlids;most of those fish love algae.
    So how long should I leave my lights on? I’ve been doing about 8 hours a day lately

Real Name
    Ralph

Well Christian...I usually don't turn my tank lights on till I get home from work as no one is home to view tanks and don't have any plants. If you have plants then 8 hrs is fine.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Thank you everyyone who has helped me I now will leave my lights on for 8 hrs because I have some plants in my tank thank u

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Wait so if I do 8 hours a day will the green water eventually go away after doing some water changes and I got some sand for my tank... should I take the fish out then put it in or can they stay in there?thanks

Real Name
    Ralph

I have not had planted tanks in years but green water is cause of algae bloom where you will notice small green dots formed on tank glass often caused by high nutrients in water or high phosphate levels. You can buy a phosphate remover liquid at most LFS. A properly balanced planted tank takes time for the entry level hobbyist. There is plenty to consider before one jumps into starting a planted tank. Lighting is just one factor...say 0.5 watts or 20 lumens per gal of tank water is fine for easy growing plants.
    I would recommend you browse in http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...s-and-Biotopes

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    I have not had planted tanks in years but green water is cause of algae bloom where you will notice small green dots formed on tank glass often caused by high nutrients in water or high phosphate levels. You can buy a phosphate remover liquid at most LFS. A properly balanced planted tank takes time for the entry level hobbyist. There is plenty to consider before one jumps into starting a planted tank. Lighting is just one factor...say 0.5 watts or 20 lumens per gal of tank water is fine for easy growing plants.
    I would recommend you browse in http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...s-and-Biotopes

...Ralph
    Do I have to get phosphate remover or do u think it’ll go away eventually

Real Name
    Ralph

All we know is that you have a 55g tank. What lights are you using? is there a way you can post a pic of your tank?

...Ralph
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    All we know is that you have a 55g tank. What lights are you using? is there a way you can post a pic of your tank?

...Ralph
    I don’t know what lights I have I got a top fin kit… and don’t I have to be a member to post a picture?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

I found out that they are led lights

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Christian,
    Although you have not paid for a Premium Membership, you are a member just by signing up and logging in. The third icon from the right in the posting window will prompt you to select a pic to insert. I find it easiest if it's on my computer and can select it from there. The max size is 2MB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast