ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Algae on Anubias and Java Fern

Real Name
    Jörgen

Default Re: Algae on Anubias and Java Fern

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    You can spray the plants directly on dry while performing WC , wait 5-10 minutes and then refill new water . Spray with non- diluted 3% H2O2 but don't spray over 1000ml on one occasion .

Other method is to give the whole tank a 30 min. 3% H2O2 bath at 4ml per liter of water ratio .
    You WC +50% afterwards .

In both cases turn off the filters for 30 min. Until H2O2 dilute in the water .
    To treat the entire tank the fish have to be removed right?!

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    Will all algae die from 3 days black out? Or just cyano?

Ok for the fish? No feeding during black out I guess.
    They should all die in a 4 day blackout .
    Big Cleanout and WC prior and after the blackout and added aeration/ surface agitation during the method is advised to keep your fish safe . No feeding at all.
    Daily inspection and checking on your discus behavour wouldn't hurt either .

Real Name
    Mervin

Algae will starve without light or nutrients.Also,the better method for cyano,instead of erythromycin treatment,IMO.It has to be total darkness;that means no peeking.I've never peeked.

Real Name
    Jörgen

I'll start by changing more water, stop dosing pmdd and cut off all infested leaves. Maybe some h2o2 during wc too.

If nothing helps I'll try a blackout.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Jörgen

Started out now with heavy pruning of infested leaves followed by 80% water change. I sprayed most of the plants with h2o2 diluted to ~5%.

Will keep this up and quit dosing pmdd.

I'd like to mention that I thought pmdd was necessary because a lot of my Anubias sprouts plenty of leaves but they stay really tiny and stunted. Also some of them melt. Is this because of high temperature then or what?

Real Name
    Filip

To treat the entire tank the fish have to be removed right?!
    I do not remove discus during the H2O2 bath . They show no signs of stress during the 4ml per l H202 bath .Using Strong agitation pump and leaving your filters turned off are a must during the whole tank bath method .

Real Name
    Filip

Started out now with heavy pruning of infested leaves followed by 80% water change. I sprayed most of the plants with h2o2 diluted to ~5%.

Will keep this up and quit dosing pmdd.

I'd like to mention that I thought pmdd was necessary because a lot of my Anubias sprouts plenty of leaves but they stay really tiny and stunted. Also some of them melt. Is this because of high temperature then or what?
    Small leaves and stunted growth does sound like a nutrional deficiency , but melting isnt likely to be caused by that .

You have to find a balance in lights , Co2 and dosing if your new growth looks stunted . Once you solve the algae problem you can start back dosing smaller amounts of nutrients and raise them very slowly until you reach the sweet spot.
    Your plants are mainly PO4 lovers so maybe you can try to add only phosphate , and limit the rest to what's already in the tap water .

You can also try to lower the light source ensuring slower growth on new leaves and enough time for them to utilize the elements from the water column .
    Last edited by Filip; 03-26-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Real Name
    Jörgen

I do not remove discus during the H2O2 bath . They show no signs of stress during the 4ml per l H202 bath .Using Strong agitation pump and leaving your filters turned off are a must during the whole tank bath method .
    Oh wow, I had no idea you could treat with h2o2 in doses that kill algae but do not irritate discus!

I have 17,5% h2o2 so I guess I'll have to dose 0.7ml/l then = 0.3l for my 450l tank.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Small leaves and stunted growth does sound like a nutrional deficiency , but melting isnt likely to be caused by that .

You have to find a balance in lights , Co2 and dosing if your new growth looks stunted . Once you solve the algae problem you can start back dosing smaller amounts of nutrients and raise them very slowly until you reach the sweet spot.
    Your plants are mainly PO4 lovers so maybe you can try to add only phosphate , and limit the rest to what's already in the tap water .

You can also try to lower the light source ensuring slower growth on new leaves and enough time for them to utilize the elements from the water column .
    Sounds like a good plan!

Real Name
    Filip

Oh wow, I had no idea you could treat with h2o2 in doses that kill algae but do not irritate discus!

I have 17,5% h2o2 so I guess I'll have to dose 0.7ml/l then = 0.3l for my 450l tank.
    Dilute it to 3% with demineralized water first and then dose accordingly .
    Your Sol. Is aprox. 6 times stronger so a quick math would give me a dose of 300 ml from 17.5 % sol. For your tank vol . Instead of dosing 1800 Ml from 3% Sol.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Dilute it to 3% with demineralized water first and then dose accordingly .
    Your Sol. Is aprox. 6 times stronger so a quick math would give me a dose of 300 ml from 17.5 % sol. For your tank vol . Instead of dosing 1800 Ml from 3% Sol.
    I calculated 300ml too but don't see any reason to dilute first...?

Real Name
    Filip

I calculated 300ml too but don't see any reason to dilute first...?
    No need at all if you do the math precisely. I was just thinking its safer to calculate beforehand ....

P.S. Just in case.
    I hope you already know but there are Hydrogen's peroxides in a form of white paste on the market used by women to bleach their hair .
    Avoid those by any means . We are talking about liquid H2O2 commonly used in pharmacy for disinfecting wounds , the one that fizzles when poured on a wound .

Real Name
    Jörgen

No need at all if you do the math precisely. I was just thinking its safer to calculate beforehand ....

P.S. Just in case.
    I hope you already know but there are Hydrogen's peroxides in a form of white paste on the market used by women to bleach their hair .
    Avoid those by any means . We are talking about liquid H2O2 commonly used in pharmacy for disinfecting wounds , the one that fizzles when poured on a wound .
    Filip, how good is your swedish?

It says "Use for desinfection and bleaching". I've used it to desinfect tanks and plants, but never with fish in the tank...

Real Name
    Filip

Sorry Jorg , Min Svenska är dålig ,
    But if its odorless and transparent waterlike liquid , instead of white thick paste , than that should be it .
    And be carefull because it is still a chemical that can burn some softer plants and strip discus slime coat .Start with less on your first try and repeat the treatment a week later if there are still some alge visible .

Real Name
    Jörgen

Sorry Jorg , Min Svenska är dålig ,
    But if its odorless and transparent waterlike liquid , instead of white thick paste , than that should be it .
    And be carefull because it is still a chemical that can burn some softer plants and strip discus slime coat .Start with less on your first try and repeat the treatment a week later if there are still some alge visible .
    Ha ha, den är ju riktigt bra!

Thanks for all the help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast