ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: "Feelin the Luv"

Real Name
    Steve

Default "Feelin the Luv"

OK, sorry for the click-bait title
    I just had a minor epiphany watching one of my pairs. I had just completed a water change on a tank with a pair that has been carrying fry for a couple weeks. For whatever reason, after the water change, the male decided he'd had enough of the fry and started attacking them. I watched for a while and confirmed this and eventually removed him. What I thought was interesting, however, was the female's behavior. She went to a top corner, and started pulsing her body, similar to the mating shimmy, about once per second for 6-8 times in a row. She did this repeatedly. The fry all swam toward her. Visually, the effect is understandable, but it occurred to me that she was also sending a pulse through the water that the fry followed. So that's the new thought, that they can actually communicate physically in the water.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 03-25-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: "Feelin the Luv"

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    OK, sorry for the click-bait title
    I just had a minor epiphany watching one of my pairs. I had just completed a water change on a tank with a pair that has been carrying fry for a couple weeks. For whatever reason, after the water change, the male decided he'd had enough of the fry and started attacking them. I watched for a while and confirmed this and eventually removed him. What I thought was interesting, however, was the female's behavior. She went to a top corner, and started pulsing her body, similar to the mating shimmy, about once per second for 6-8 times in a row. She did this repeatedly. The fry all swam toward her. Visually, the effect is understandable, but it occurred to me that she was also sending a pulse through the water that the fry followed. So that's the new thought, that they can actually communicate physically in the water.
    I have observed this with wild discus Steve. It seems to be a clear call to the fry to go to the parent. It's quite cool I think.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: "Feelin the Luv"

Thanks for sharing Steve and myself never experiencing first hand but must have been very interesting to watch.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden