AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Jumped out of container

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Catherine

Default Jumped out of container

So, my first experience with a jumper tonight.

Was acclimating a group of juveniles, in a covered bucket, which was sitting in a poly bin. After acclimation, was transferring one by one to the tank. Now, my eyesight is not the best, and of course I was working in dim light... and in short, I put too much water into the transfer container, allowing the juvie to jump out and land in the poly bin. Which was not what you would call 'sterile'.

Got him back into water, and did put him in the tank - he's swimming around without any obvious immediate distress, but I assume I'm going to have to watch out for fungal infection?

Will get a hospital tank set up tomorrow. My husband is going to have kittens when I tell him tank #6 is going up, even temporarily, heh.

Would like some advice on what I might be facing in terms of things to watch for, and what to have on hand. I've got Acriflavine, Methylene Blue, epsom salts, and various other things in my medicine stash, but of course I don't want to start throwing things at this poor guy unnecessarily, especially since he's only just been acclimated. (At least the trip from the breeder was only 10 minutes...)

Suggestions appreciated.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Jumped out of container

No need to do anything at all. I wouldn't expect a problem.

However, it's critical to have a hospital tank available to use to quarantine and treat for disease. A 10 - 20 gal tank is all you need. Simple salt and high temperature will cure a lot of ailments. Let the fish get comfortable, rest and handle the disease itself. So a heater that can bring the tank up to 94F would be helpful. I haven't used any medication on my fish for years.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Catherine

Default Re: Jumped out of container

Thanks Willie, good to know there's a chance everything should be ok without me interfering.

I hear you on the hospital tank. I have these but of course don't run them all the time. I do have extra sponge filters running in other tanks which can be pulled across as required, so a setup isn't too much trouble.

+1 on the heat and salt advice too, duly noted thanks.