ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Default Re: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Mark View Post
    Thanks again Geo57. Great advice again. 2 other wee questions. With my Africans I used coral sand. I take it this is no use for discus as it slightly raises the PH?? And secondly I always used a wavemaker with them. Is it better without a wavemaker as discus prefer calmer water??
    Hi Mark, sorry for my late response, I have three day weekends and usually don't get a chance to visit Simply as I'm busy with my tanks and family. Seems you've been answered tho lol. I would get the best sand you can afford, I went with the National Geographic sand from Pet Smart and white sand. You also won't need the wave maker as Discus prefer a calmer water, as long as you are circulating your entire tank you should have enough water movement for them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by geo57 View Post
    Hi Mark, sorry for my late response, I have three day weekends and usually don't get a chance to visit Simply as I'm busy with my tanks and family. Seems you've been answered tho lol. I would get the best sand you can afford, I went with the National Geographic sand from Pet Smart and white sand. You also won't need the wave maker as Discus prefer a calmer water, as long as you are circulating your entire tank you should have enough water movement for them.
    Thanks Geo57. No worries on taking a few days to reply. We all have lives to live!!
    I got inert sand the other day in the shop and gave the coral sand to a fella I know who keeps cichlids. Ive also packed away the wave maker.
    My new tank arrived 2 days ago so been busy getting it ready for bringing into the house. Its a Jewel Rio 450L tank. It has an internal filter and I was going to run it along with my 2 canister filters but can only fit the pipes from 1 into tank so Ill just run the internal and 1 external. Really looking forward to getting it up and running.

Just out of interest what sort of money are discus in the USA?? Here in the UK Ill be paying anything from £30 - £120 ($40-$165) for 3.5 inch fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Depending on what you are buying i would say pretty much the same as in you side of the world. Some of your more exotic types will cost more...I'm sure you could find 1000.00 dollar fish if you looked hard enough lol. As small as 3.5, I would think would come at a much lower cost. I recently took in 7 discus Mark but they were a gift, I know I've looked into some buys and was looking at 75.00 to 300.00 and the 300.00 were always like 5 inches. I live in sunny California and things get a little pricey out here lol. Your tank sounds like it will be a real nice setup, don't forget to post some pics.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by geo57 View Post
    Depending on what you are buying i would say pretty much the same as in you side of the world. Some of your more exotic types will cost more...I'm sure you could find 1000.00 dollar fish if you looked hard enough lol. As small as 3.5, I would think would come at a much lower cost. I recently took in 7 discus Mark but they were a gift, I know I've looked into some buys and was looking at 75.00 to 300.00 and the 300.00 were always like 5 inches. I live in sunny California and things get a little pricey out here lol. Your tank sounds like it will be a real nice setup, don't forget to post some pics.
    Ill take a few photos as I get things set up and post them on here from start to getting stocked up. Cheers

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Stevenson

Thats the tank up and cycling about 2 weeks now. Patience is a virtue thumbnail.jpgthumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (1).jpg

Looks great - that will be a beautiful discus set-up.

Real Name
    Filip

I like your minimal approach and good looking tank Mark . Great job .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Stevenson

Thanks Paul. Cant wait to get it stocked up

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Stevenson

Thanks Filip. Wanted to keep it minimal. Want the fish to steal the limelight instead of the scape

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Mark View Post
    Thanks Filip. Wanted to keep it minimal. Want the fish to steal the limelight instead of the scape
    Nice point Mark. I just wish I had your simplistic mindset , as I always tend to overpopulate the tank with plants and scape and that although neat looking it does steal the limelight from them .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12