ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Discus not forming pairs

Real Name
    Jörgen

Default Re: Discus not forming pairs

Quote Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
    RO will trigger them as well as give a good water softness for fertilization.
    I was hoping I don't have to go down the RO route... but maybe I have to eventually?

Registered Member

It's a good thing to have and a must for breeding if your water is hard. You only use the RO to spawn them, the rest of the time it's tap water as usual. You just work out how much you need to wc with to get the tds at around 60-80 and you're good to go. You wait till you see them cleaning and bowing and do a wc with the RO at the % you worked out, a 50% will cut your parameters in half. With your pairing problem a RO wc at 50% might get them in the mood, also wait for a cold front to pass over if you can. In winter here I have to use 30% RO to tank volume, in summer our water is actually a bit too soft and doesn't hold ph well so I have to buffer a little.

Real Name
    Jörgen

My water is pretty soft but tds is probably a bit high for breeding. It seems to be a hassle for me to even do 50% RO in my 450l tank. Hard to store that quantity of water with limited space in the house

I have an overflow to drain on my tank, so I could install RO and let the tank overflow all day until desired tds is achieved. Could that cause any problems?

Registered Member

It won't cause problems if you keep tabs on your water parameters but the idea is to splash them cold water in one go to simulate rain. I would rather drop whatever I could make in a day at once even if its just 10%.

Do WC (cooler water) before noon. At the same time, don't drive yourself nuts watching a pot of water boil. Just keep doing your routine and as long as you're discus are happy then it will happen. And from the pictures your discus like pretty darn happy.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Jörgen

Thanks!

I've tried a couple of cooler changes but only later in the evening. I'll try at noon to.

Real Name
    Jörgen

I've appreciated all the help I have recieved in this thread. I've done frequent 50% water changes every day and sometimes with cooler water ~25C instead of the usial tank temp of ~28C.

I've noticed more activity and one fish sometimes shakes and cleans a spot.

But now I have a problem. Two fish have turned darker and their eyes are kind of foggy. See the pictures below. One of them also had a white thing in the face today. They are still eating well. What can I do? Even larger wc? Meds in my homemade food?

Registered Member

Treat your Discus with some Metro for
    HITH, they should be fine once their eyes
    brighten up.

Cliff

Real Name
    Jörgen

I'll look into Metro and see if it's available here. Look at this white patch on the geels... starting to panic here.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Is this actually HITH?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123