ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discus not forming pairs

Real Name
    Jeff

Default Re: Discus not forming pairs

Okay new thought. I just found a thread started by you from 2012 where you had problems with fish pairing up. If this is something you have any problems with on many occasions and with different groups of fish im starting to think there is something in your water bothering them. I am no water expert so I wont try to offer advise, but I think you should start to consider playing with your water a bit and see if you have any luck.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by SNap0283 View Post
    Okay new thought. I just found a thread started by you from 2012 where you had problems with fish pairing up. If this is something you have any problems with on many occasions and with different groups of fish im starting to think there is something in your water bothering them. I am no water expert so I wont try to offer advise, but I think you should start to consider playing with your water a bit and see if you have any luck.
    Just want to point out that my first attempt with discus back then (this is my second attempt) was completely different. They were much younger and in a planted tank, and eventually did spawn a lot.

Real Name
    Jörgen

I will not give up just yet. Have nothing to loose in trying out new advice.

Playing slightly with my water might be the thing. Any other advice on that? What could be bothering them? I have understood that I can try:
    - pH down to lower ~0.5
    - tea, black or rooibos
    - peat
    - purchase RO-unit to lower tds...
    - cold water changes
    - very frequent water changes
    - no water changes for a couple of days and then a large cold one

I think that my attempts over the last days have resulted in slightly more activity and sparring. A more ecperienced discus keeper would maybe be able to interpret their behaviour better.

Some of them stop next to each other and try to look big, with fins flared out and slightly bent body towards the other fish. No cleaning activity or obvious pairing however.

Some of them have started a slow wiggle, and I don't know if it's a bad or good sign. Not shaking as in the typical spawning behaviour, but rather much larger body movements and very slow. Anyone recognize this?

Real Name
    Jörgen

I have started hatching some brine shrimp eggs and will try to grow them out in a plastic container with a heater and air pump. If succesful my fish will have their first live food.

Registered Member

Easiest way is to get a RO unit and do a 50% WC. Your ph will start to go down and the softer water should stimulate breeding behavior. Keep the temp at 29c the cold RO WC will drop it. The slow wiggle you are seeing now is probably tail slapping. They are also posturing by flaring at each other. They are trying to establish who is dominant.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
    Easiest way is to get a RO unit and do a 50% WC. Your ph will start to go down and the softer water should stimulate breeding behavior. Keep the temp at 29c the cold RO WC will drop it. The slow wiggle you are seeing now is probably tail slapping. They are also posturing by flaring at each other. They are trying to establish who is dominant.
    I was hoping not to need RO... Is it mainly for triggering them that RO is good, or is it beneficial with fry as well?

I think I know what you mean with tail slapping. But the "slow motion wiggle" is slower and not aimed at another fish. It's mainly the head swinging back and forth.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

The head swing sounds like head shakes discus do as part of courtship. Can you post a video?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    The head swing sounds like head shakes discus do as part of courtship. Can you post a video?
    Pat
    I'll try, but I only see it a couple of times per night. It's not the typical fast shaking behaviour that even I would recognize as courtship.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Ehat if I just pick two fish and move to a 120l, along with a sponge filter from the main tank. Is it worth a shot, and trying different partners two weeks apart? Or can it be unwise in any way?

Real Name
    Jeff

If you keep a close eye on them they should be fine. They may fight and then you can just remove them and try a new pair.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by SNap0283 View Post
    If you keep a close eye on them they should be fine. They may fight and then you can just remove them and try a new pair.
    Ok. Filled the 120l today and poured in some bleach, as a first step in disinfecting.

Have also put some newly hatched brine shrimp in a 20l bucket with aeration.

Real Name
    Jeff

Keep us posted, good luck!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    I have started hatching some brine shrimp eggs and will try to grow them out in a plastic container with a heater and air pump. If succesful my fish will have their first live food.
    You want to feed bs within hours of them hatching otherwise they have absorbed there egg sac
    which contains the the nutrients they need. Adult bs are somewhere around 90% water and
    pretty much useless as food.
    Jay

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    You want to feed bs within hours of them hatching otherwise they have absorbed there egg sac
    which contains the the nutrients they need. Adult bs are somewhere around 90% water and
    pretty much useless as food.
    Jay
    I will only be feeding them to try to induce spawning, not for their nutritional value. Great info however.

Registered Member

RO will trigger them as well as give a good water softness for fertilization.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast