ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oldcabin's 110

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Oldcabin's 110

I started 9 BCB’s in my 125. I’m 3 weeks in and counting. Did you put a plenum in your tank too? I hope your plants do well. I think you chose the ones with the best chance of success. Keep posting pics for us please as that tank is SWEET!

Registered Member

Yes, buce on the wood, which I love! I may add some more in the future.

I didn't use a plenum in the tank....not sure why, just figured I'd try to keep it simple.
    Good luck with your BCB's, I'll follow along in the water works thread!

Registered Member

Amazing setup !

Registered Member

All has been running smoothly lately. I ended up losing more cardinals than I would have liked, but I'm blaming it on bad stock from Live Aquaria (for no other reason than to keep from blaming myself
    I now have 8 cardinals and 10 sterbai's, but the exciting news is that I added 4 GBR's from Joe Gargas on 5/8 and today I unexpectedly have a batch of eggs!
    I've never kept Rams before and didn't expect them to breed this early as it appears they're fairly young and haven't really colored up just yet.
    I had no intention of breeding them, but it has been exciting to watch and the kids love it!
    So.......what do I do now? If they do hatch, I'm sure they'll end up in the overflow in short order and I doubt I can find screen small enough to avoid it. Short of relocating fry into a grow out tank, do I just let nature take it's course? I do have tiny brine shrimp fry that I can try feeding them if need be.

Also, I have 4 more Gold Rams on order from Joe, but now I'm considering cancelling -- already some minor aggression between the 4, not sure 8 would be a smart move? Any advice?

Thanks all!

Real Name
    Rob

I think most fish become less aggressive, the more of them there are. I never kept rams though. Sorry about the cardinals

Lovely, lovely tank. Great set up!! Just cycling mine with BCB's too so watching your thread with interest.

Registered Member

Rams are generally peaceful fish and usually crowding works, however that backfires when they start breeding as the pairs aggression goes up as they defend their eggs and the young one's.

That being said, since its a 110 gal tank, I don't see any issue with 4 more rams as these fish usually pick a corner to nest at and don't claim too large an area when breeding. So 8 rams in a 110 shouldn't be a problem.

You have a beautiful tank. Hard luck with the cardinals. Is your tank fully cycled? Coz I noticed there was only a week between you filling the tank and adding the fish (going by the date of your posts), which usually isn't enough to cycle. Though off course you may have already had cycled media, so just checking.

Registered Member

Thanks Hidan. Yes, the tank had been fully cycled. Just timing lags between real life and forum posts!
    I added the rams for a total of 8 and all has been going well!
    I'm happy with progress thus far and will be adding discus soon - hopefully!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I have 8 gbr in a 210 & no problem. Caves & a lot of wood helps letting them get out of each others way. Harry

Registered Member

Placed an order with Kenny (July shipment) for 6 discus.
    I'm beyond excited!
    Should receive them on Friday the 27th --- stay tuned for pics.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Great tank and thread oldcabin Bet you are super excited about getting discus from Kenny. Are you going to QT them prior to adding them to your display tank?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Great tank!
    Hope your discus would do well in there.

However, do you still lose your cardinals here and there?
    I'm a bit worried after reading you lost 12 out of 20, that's plenty.
    Maybe it might do some good to your discus in the future if you really know the root cause of those deaths?
    (like, water parameter? any disease?)
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Registered Member

Thanks guys. Yes, I have an old 55 setup ready for QT upon arrival.
    As for the cardinals - while I can't say for certain why I had the losses (haven't lost one in months), I have be diligent in checking water parameters and performing my water changes.
    The rams and sterbai's are happy and healthy (rams are breeding) so I thought it was time to take my shot with the discus.

Registered Member

Hi all,
    I've had a lot of action with the tank lately and have an exciting update! Sorry if this is too long.
    I received 3 Blue Snakeskins, 2 Blue Diamonds and 1 Spotted Leopard from Kenny two weeks ago. They are gorgeous!
    I put them in QT for only about a week (I know it should have been longer, but I got impatient and they settled in and look great very quickly).
    Once in the display, the two largest Snakeskins began laying eggs within 2 days and were quite aggressive toward the group......so I had an excuse for a project!
    Over the weekend I built a rack and set up two breeder tanks and just moved the pair about 4 days ago. They are now polishing their new cone so I'm hopeful for another batch of eggs soon (running ~80TDS in the breeder tank so hopefully the eggs will be valid).
    In the meantime (yesterday) the remaining Snakeskin and a Blue Diamond have paired in the display and laid eggs as well! The BD promptly ate them.
    I'm not sure whether to move them over to a breeder as well (and leave only two in the display) but I'm not in a rush to decide.

I'm excited to try my hand a breeding and have researched a fair bit, but also understand that it can be difficult and labor intensive. I'm approaching this as a fun project for myself and kids, but also want to succeed, so any help is appreciated!

First pair (in display)

First pair (breeder)

Second pair (display)

Remaining two (not paired)

Real Name
    Rob

Great thread Oldcabin, and those discus are beautiful. I also had eggs from my rams within a week or so, and no real experience with them. They're just in the process of digging a little pit again for some more. The rummies made short work of the others one night

How are you getting on with the BCB filtration? Did you run with that in the end?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Great looking tank. Excuse my ignorance but what is BCB filtration?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast