AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oldcabin's 110

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Oldcabin's 110

Daniel,
    Go to water works section and check out thread titled: DIY anoxic filtration system. Dr Kevin Novak has videos on you tube that started the long (38,000 views) conversation. Wish we could do a poll of people who have tried it and check success rates. The goal is less wc’s through anoxic filtration. It’s an interesting read.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Filip

Sorry for noticing this thread just now , but I saw your tank in another thread and I must say that it looks very simplistic and classy . Starting from the scape look , and through the rimless open top , lights and the look of the stand , everything fits in perfectly .
    Great job Daniel .

Edit :
    I was referring to the OP - Oldcabin .Sorry about mixing the names Daniel and Oldcabin .
    Last edited by Filip; 08-10-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Sorry for noticing this thread just now , but I saw your tank in another thread and I must say that it looks very simplistic and classy . Starting from the scape look , and through the rimless open top , lights and the look of the stand , everything fits in perfectly .
    Great job Daniel .
    I agree. Seeing this tank makes me want to take everything out of my planted tank and start from scratch from substrate on up. Mine looks so ho hum to me now.
    Patty

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Patty, and btw your tank set up is far from ho hum...I love a good planted tank as much as the next person, but the simplicity and cleanliness of a BB with a classy piece of manzanita (such as yours) is also very pleasing to the eye!

Registered Member

Thanks all for the kind words! Much appreciated!

Patty -- appreciate the sentiment but your tank is gorgeous as well! It's funny, I was just thinking to myself that I should setup a larger tank and go bare-bottom!

It's hard to say how well the BCB is working -- I've been running it since Day 1 and my nitrates have never been over 5ppm once the cycle was finished - so nothing to complain about.
    I've never had to mess with the filtration, but I'm also running filter socks, some additional sponges and a little matrix in the sump.
    I do weekly water changes of about 50-60%.

The Snakeskins laid eggs in the breeder tank, but they didn't hatch. I've since noticed that there is about 0.25 ppm of ammonia in the tank -- so I commenced to panic! It could be the reason the eggs didn't make it, but the adults are showing no signs of stress. I seeded the tank with some matrix from the display and it has a sponge filter, but it must still need to cycle? What's the best next step? I could put the adults back in the display and start over with a fishless cycle, or I was considering adding some Bio-Spira to potentially help remove the ammonia?

The remaining four discus in the display are doing well, but there is some aggression between them -- still debating on whether to separate the second pair. My original plan was not to breed them, but I have to admit I didn't expect this much bickering amongst them.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

If you are running a sump I'd recommend having a your sponges for the small tank filters in there until needed. In theory they should be seeded and ready to use at a moment's notice.

With only four discus many experience bickering. More fish will spread the aggression. Why only 6 discus in a 110 gallon, that could house 10 or 12 adults!

Real Name
    Patty

[QUOTE=Oldcabin;1294533]Thanks all for the kind words! Much appreciated!

Patty -- appreciate the sentiment but your tank is gorgeous as well! It's funny, I was just thinking to myself that I should setup a larger tank and go bare-bottom!

Thanks Oldcabin and Daniel, but I was talking about my other tank with substrate, plants, a small piece of wood and angels. I do like my the minimalist feel of my discus tank, but have to have a planted tank somewhere. Maybe I’ll do a before and after shot. It won’t be as cool as yours but I am copying the center focal point/plants with sand all around for sure. It will hide my filter tubes. I want that wow factor in my tank!
    Patty

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123