ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Question about stock in aquarium

Registered Member

Default Question about stock in aquarium

Hello everyone,

I have a 75 gallon aquarium and I was wondering if I have too much stock in my aquarium.
    My tank has 9 juvenile discus, 15 neon tetras, 1 German blue ram, 1 gourami and 2 plecos. (both of the plecos will reach 4-6 inch in maximum height).

I have some plants in my aquarium as well, but its not heavily planted. (sand substrate)
    I have heard that people use the general rule, 1 discus per 10 gallon, however my 9 discus hang out the majority of the time on one side of the tank and the rest of the tank looks really empty.

My filtration is 1 cascade 1000 canister filter. I was thinking about adding a second one for better filtration, should I?

Thanks
    Last edited by Lemon94; 04-04-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Question about stock in aquarium

You are on the top level of becoming overstocked .
    You can keep your current bioload but have to be diligent at regular siphoning , prefilter cleaning and most importantly water changes .
    But I wouldn't dare to add any more bioload here , even if it looks empty to you . When your discus grow to 6 inches it will not look as empty as it is now .

Adding one more bio filtration canister wouldn't hurt but your maintenance and waterchange regime is far more important in maintaining healthy discus planted tank .