AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfecting RO Water Preparation - Suggestions

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Default Re: Perfecting RO Water Preparation - Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    When I used to use 100% RO water I used commercial additives instead of natural (crushed coral) because it is easier to measure and get consistent results. I used Kent RO Right for Gh, Kent Ph Stable for Kh (NEVER add either of these directly to the tank!!), and Kent Discus Essentials for minerals etc. When I kept wilds I kept the Ph at 6.2, which, unfortunately did not allow me to get sufficient Kh and if I didn't do large daily water changes the water would crash within 24/36 hours. To stabilize the water would have required upping the TDS way into the hard water range, which would have at the same time raised the Ph. Best bet I found is to not use 100% RO water. At this point I do not use any at all but still add the Discus Essentials. If your tap water is unusable ( why?) they you need to up your RO production. Get hold of an Aquatec 8800, buy a second pressure vessel and two 150 gal membranes. If your source water pressure is sufficient you should be able to produce over 200gpd. All in all, however, unless you are talking breeding tanks aged tap water is your best bet - have you tried that and found it still unusable?
    I completely agree. I would like to use some tap water with the RO but unfortunately the well water has nitrates that often go above 40 ppm, and I think the OP has the same problem. Whether you can mix tap water for this purpose really depends on how high the nitrates go, and how much KH or buffer the tap water can add to the mix.

Registered Member

Default Re: Perfecting RO Water Preparation - Suggestions

Like DJW our tap water had nitrates of up to 40ppm, and that's low compared to previous years, so it's totally unsuitable. I have now set up another 20g water butt and the RO is pumping 24 hours so I can change 25% a day without a problem or 50% every second day. In one day I've see nitrate levels drop by 20ppm and although the fish seemed fine before they are more vibrant now. I used to use Kent RO Right etc but it's alot of additives and a balancing act. With the Tropic Marin Re-Min everything seems to be stable (PH7.2 100 TDS).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12