ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Wavemaker for oxygenation

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Wavemaker for oxygenation

Hi, could do with a bit of advice, my discus are now 10 months http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ty-Dozen/page4 and these last 2 or 3 days their growth may have finally exceeded the oxygenating capacity offered by my airstone and the surface agitation by my puny filter. They went a bit pale, off their food, breathing fast and hanging near the surface. Things improve just after the usual 2/3 daily wc. Yesterday I added one of the small powerheads I normally use in the aging bins, just 100 gph nominal, and things have improved greatly - practically back to normal. I have ordered a bigger canister filter, should arrive mid next week , so the doubled water flow should grant better surface agitation. Also looking at low power wavemakers, specifically Sunsun jvp 110 (~500gph). Anyone use wavemakers with discus? Ciao

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Wavemaker for oxygenation

It's been my experience that all large fish, including discus, do better with more vigorous aeration. I usually put a powerhead on top of double stacked sponge filters in any tank 75 gal or bigger. My 110 gal tank, which is 30" deep, has a Sunsun underwater fan pointed down in a diagonal direction to ensure good mixing at the bottom of the tank. The fish seem to swim more vigorously, have more color and eat better - but that's just my observation.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Filip

I run the flow from the canister outtake right below the surface slightly pointed to break the surface . i avoid spraybars to use the full blast from the flow and better aerate the water.
    It gives a pretty good surface agitation that way.

I think that with 2 canisters it would be more than sufficient as long as you have the flow from at least one canister breaking the surface .
    People often use wavemakers for this purpose in discus tanks too , but in your case , having 2 strong canisters would be more than enough.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

I just hang a HOB on my tanks to go along with my canister filter. My understanding is that a waterfall type of aeration is the best way to oxygenate the water.