ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Clamped fins?

Registered Member

Unhappy Clamped fins?

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Recently I noticed one of my discus in a corner facing 45 degrees downwards with one clamped fin. He starts swimming around and uses both, but then sometimes goes back to using one fin in the corner of the tank. His tail is also starting to rot away.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

He acts perfectly normal, eats and everything. However, he usually sits by himself with a fin clamped sometimes facing 45 degrees downwards.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

He has done the same thing in the past and I treated with furan-2 and general cure and his symptoms all disappeared. Now out of the blue he starts doing this again. Why?

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

Tank is 75 gallon, running for 3-4 months. Currently have 7 discus and 3 swordtails and 1 pleco.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

I change 35-40% of the water daily.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank has been running 3-4 months. Sand Substrate. 2-3 inches. A few plants as well.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I do not age my water.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 84

- ph =7.8-8

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 5-10

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

I use tap water.

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Feeding schedule: 9am - Frozen Bloodworms, 1pm - frozen brine shrimp 5pm - beefheart mix, 9pm beefheart mix

Beefheart mix consists of: beefheart, talapia, shrimp, peas. I DO NOT feed live foods.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

What should I medicate with?

Registered Member

Default Re: Clamped fins?

Pictures20180409_125401.jpg
    I dont know why the pictures came out sideways
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lemon94; 04-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Lemon, I read your prior threads and see you are a new discus keeper trying to raise discus in a planted tank. I am guessing the one affected fish is still compromised from this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...with-my-discus. I do not like the sound of the rotted tail. Not a good sign.

Can you increase your water change amounts to a daily 60% or better? Lets try a course of Epsom salts in case there is something impacting the fish. Check to ensure the dithers can handle the salt. Also it might be time to consider removing the plants and as much sand as possible.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Hello Pat,

The fish in that thread unfortunately died a few days later. This is a different one doing this. It was sick in the past previously when I got him from hans discus, but I treated with some meds and for over a month hes been doing fine. No fin clamping or anything. Today I just noticed he started doing it again. Also, is there something else I can use besides salt? I am not a fan of adding salt into freshwater aquariums. Will Furan-2, general cure or E.M erythromycin work?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lemon94; 04-09-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Epsom salt is a laxative and will help it pass anything which might be impacted it. When I have had fish stay at a 45 degree angle I have generally find something inside is bothering it. What does it's poop look like? Is it eating?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Yes, that discus does eat everything I put in there. He usually leaves his spot and come to the surface whenever I enter the room. Last week, all the fish had a parasite as they were pooping stringy white poop. I treated with medication and after inspecting everyone, all my discus were pooping brown poop. The color of his poop is brown and looks similar to all the other discus. As for the tail rot, would you recommend using furon-2 or E.M erythromycin? Or should I just use Epsom salt only? If so, how much do you think I should add? Also, do you suspect the fin clamping due to something inside of him? Or could that be fluke?
    Last edited by Lemon94; 04-09-2018 at 05:46 PM.