AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus darkening by tank decoration permanent?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Default Discus darkening by tank decoration permanent?

Hi all!

So i've had my 5cm Red Turq Stendkers for some time now and they are approaching the 10-13cm stage where their colors actually start showing.
    However, i have a black background and a barebottom (normally the light sand would make the tank look a lot lighter) and on top of that one of my T8's broke, so im running on 1 T8. (gonna order some new ones soon).

The thing that i am wondering about is that i was prepared about my red turqs going darker since the tank was pretty dark in the back, but i'd like to know if this has an influence over their coloration process for the future. As soon as they hit around 15-18 cm, im gonna throw the sand back in the tank and make it a nice planted one, but will they become nicer in color and reach their full coloring potential, or stay darker since they grew up in a 'darker' environment?

Hope to hear from you guys!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Discus darkening by tank decoration permanent?

Hi Tim, they should brighten up for you in a lighter tank. Are there any health issues which could them to darken now?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Hi Pat!

No they are perfectly healthy and growing at a really good rate! They play around in the tank and as soon as they come to the front they become lighter (not as light as before the T8 broke though... haha)

So I guess they'll be fine in the long run? can't wat to put in the sand then...

Real Name
    Jeff

Just as Pat said they will lighten up when their surroundings do. As long as they are healthy there is no long term difference.

Real Name
    Filip

They change their colours almost instantly camouflaging with their surroundings and its never a permanent change.
    I cant forget my amazement with my red turks when I first switched from dark bottom to a sand .
    I felt like I got new fish the same day I replaced the dark bottom with white sand .