ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Balancing the Feeding Regimen against Nitrate Build up.

Registered Member

Default Balancing the Feeding Regimen against Nitrate Build up.

I've always judged how much food to feed my discus in conjunction with the speed in which it's consumed. Currently their morning feed is 8 cubes of frozen bloodworm and beefheart mix (Discus Diet) which takes no longer than a few minutes to vanish with the last morsels being cleaned up by the shyer discus and the Clowns/Corys. The second feed is just one cube of freeze dried blackworms which again is gone in a matter of 2 - 3 minutes after which the gravel (thin layer) is vacuumed and fresh RO is pumped in to replace it (5 to 10 gallons at a time). This happens most days, I've gone from 2 large water changes a week equating to circa 40% on each to daily/bi-daily changes of between 10 and 20 gallons respectively. The N03 level is now exceeding 25ppm and is a concern, notwithstanding that the fish don't appear at all bothered, and I'm at a loss as to the reason. The tank holds 570 Litres and I have 12 discus plus 4 Clowns and 2 Corys with 4 of the Wilds having been added gradually over the past 4 weeks. Any ideas from your experience would be appreciated. The only other change was the removal of some Amazon Swords due to them dying away in the conditions favored by discus but which I believe this would have had a negligible effect given that the size was and density was miniscule.

Registered Member

Default Re: Balancing the Feeding Regimen against Nitrate Build up.

Larger water changes are going to be necessary. Most here do large daily water changes. The Clown loaches are going to be a problem, they get huge and are very nocturnal they may cause your Discus to go crashing into the sides of the tank as Discus are diurnal.

Registered Member

Thank you for the response. As I said in an earlier post RO production is my limiting factor and as the tap water here is totally unsuitable to mix I can presently change no more than 10 - 15 gallons per day, after vacuuming the substrate. The Loaches have been in the tank for years and I've never noticed a problem especially at night everything appears quiet. Perhaps I need to feed them slightly less whilst trying to produce more RO?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

The feeding seems ok, it looks like you need to change more water. Large water changes result in cleaner water than a series of smaller WCs, even when the same amount of water is changed per week... although periodic siphoning of the crud helps too. You could add one large weekly WC to what you are doing, and it would make a real difference.

Another thought is to increase the RO production, with a booster pump or a filter that makes more water. If you have a well that can't produce more, there are ro filter designs that have a more efficient waste-to-product ratio.

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Anoxic filtration

Registered Member

Ok I will try and up the larger water changes whilst maintaining a small change with the vacuuming. With the warmer months coming the RO production will increase significantly plus I'm planning on adding an additional 20 gallon water butt so the RO can be left on overnight which should solve the problem. I assume Shane you meant anaerobic filtration? B

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

150 gallon tank needs more than 10gal WC daily. Those loaches will be a problem as mentioned they get HUGE and make HUGE messes that will cause WC needs to go up up up. In my opinion, you have too many fish for the tank considering their size and their estimated growth. The Loaches will out grow your discus and I'm not sure you would want that, Discus should be the stars of the tank. I have three Orange Seam Plecos about 3 to 4 inches long and they create a huge poopoo mess so I can imagine what the loaces do to your water.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Discus are diurnal.

DIURNAL.....I learned a new word...Thanx

Registered Member

Problem solved guys, set up another 20g RO tank so that the system works through the night and I'm now able to change up to 30g per day, it's a 125g tank btw not 150, which represents a 25% daily water change. Hopefully this should be sufficient? B

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun's Discus View Post
    Anoxic filtration
    Check out the DIY anoxic filtration system. It can help.

Registered Member

Thanks Luke but I think the issue has been solved now with 25% + water changes per day with 100% RO and the addition of plants. B