ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Need tank help!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brian

Default Need tank help!!

Do discus like to have hiding spots? I have some fake wood in the tank and they all hide behind it. I know they are healthy because when you walk by the tank they come out and are interactive. They also come out immediately at feeding time. Just not sure if I should even give them a place to hide or not?

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Need tank help!!

This subject will get mixed feelings from various hobbyist. There are factors to reflect on...With both Domestic and Wild Discus they need time when brought into a new environment. Location of tank if in high traffic area can spook them. Shadows that suddenly appear can spook them. With Wild Discus most often they feel comfort with driftwood furniture which closely relates to their prior environment.
    I would say if you have domestic Discus it maybe more of a layout biotope preference for the hobbyist and not a need for the fish.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: Need tank help!!

Ralph is right (of course), give Discus something to hide behind and they will use it - at least in the short term. I added a breeding cone to my tank and for the first few days all the fish schooled around and behind it, now that the novelty is off, they're hanging out and about like they used to. A sick Discus will find a way to hide or stay alone with or without decorations so that shouldn't be your primary concern at this point. Shorter answer to your question though would be yes, they like hiding spots, especially when any change takes place within their immediate environment outside of the tank.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...