ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Golden Leopards!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Default New Golden Leopards!

Hi All! So these new discus have been in here for a couple days. How do they look!? Health, shape, color, etc. Im not too proud to admit that i dont really know what I'm doing! From my inexperienced perspective they look like they might be in the first stages of pairing off. Once they do they'll all get their own tanks.

Theyre eating small amounts of home-made beef heart cubes but really not going at it like ive seen in others tanks.

Heres a mystery im dealing with. I use tap water through a water softener. My ph is 6.4 out of the tap. In my established tanks though the ph reads 8.4... Ive dozen a dozen tests of both sources with different kinds of tests and the result is always the same.

In discus tank readings (55g)
    ph- 8.4
    ammonia - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Hardness - very soft
    Chlorine - 0 (city uses mtn spring water and doesnt treat it)
    New Water - Aged, heated and aerated for several days before being pumped into discus tank. There are also seeded sponges in all the aging tanks so they should be getting identical water to their own.
    Temp - 84 degrees
    WC - 70% twice a day

The discus seem to be gasping but from other videos ive watched this may be normal behavior. What do you guys think? Theres 2 air stones in the tank

https://youtu.be/omjOIvdUSfs (video of the discus)

Chris

Real Name
    Jeff

Default Re: New Golden Leopards!

The fish look very good to me. Their breathing seems completely normal. It can take a few days to a week for the fish to settle in and eat the way you have probably seen in videos. They are still skittish to an extent, can tell when you approach the tank and they dart away. Is the bottom of the tank painted? Everything in the video appears normal to me.

As for the pH, out of the tap pH is almost always lower. The dissolved CO2 content of the water is generally much higher then aged water and CO2 lowers the pH (other gasses also contribute). This is the reason water is heated and aged. You said you age the water for several days, which may be more then you need to. Once the pH evens off it is usually safe to use for a water change. The reason I bring this up, you have 7 adult fish in a 55, this is slightly overstocked but shouldn't be a problem with enough water changing. 70% twice a week might be a little low for your stock level. If you can do a water change every other day you would be better off until they pair up and you move some out of the tank.

Also as for your water softener, is bypassing it a possibility? Depending on the specifics of your water sometimes bypassing it is a good idea but that is a whole other situation you might want to look into down the line. Water softening is done by exchanging harder minerals like iron or calcium with sodium. From a fishes perspective swapping one mineral for another doesn't make the water any softer and too much sodium can lead to issues where as too much calcium or iron generally will not. Too much sodium can cause excess slime coat in discus which can lead to bacterial infection. If this happens you would notice a white film shedding off the fishes sides. Its rare and not something I would worry about unless you notice a problem. Just keep it in the back of your mind.

All in all it looks like you have a health source of fish and they look to have settled in very well. Read through the pinned posts in most of the sections on the forum and you will be prepared to get the best out of these fish.

Registered Member

From what I saw in the video, they look fine to me.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Thanks for the detailed reply. Your explanation of the ph makes sense. From what i can tell a ph of 8.2-8.4 is extremely fine though they seem to have adapted well. I worry though that they may not breed in such an extreme ph. Any thoughts there?

I'll bypass the softener and see what kind of readings i can get. We'll see if the fish like it too. I'll have to look into making some homemade foods that are rich in iron and calcium and micro nutrients.

Water changes are 70% 2x daily by the way, not weekly.

I appreciate your comments!
    Chris

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Chris, for breeding purposes it's not the pH but the GH which matters more. Do you have a TDS meter? By passing the water softener is a good idea.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

Where I live the water slightly drops after aging from 7.4 to 7.2.Not sure what you met by seeded sponges in the aging tanks.Hopefully,not what I'm thinking!!!Which is your using this water to fill your 55 gal.that have the discus in it.All you should have is an air stone and maybe a heater(some use a power head)in you aging barrel/tanks.Seems like your water softener acts like PH Down and not stable after time goes by and would be better to bypass it like mentioned.

Real Name
    Filip

Great looking discus Chris .Good luck with them .