ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Replacing Planted Show tank with Driftwood

Registered Member

Default Replacing Planted Show tank with Driftwood

Over the past 25 years I've kept most of my discus planted with primarily Amazon Swords. Having seen a lot of photos on this forum using driftwood and, I assume, bog wood I'm looking at re landscaping my 125 Imp Gallon show tank. Recently I removed the last of the Swords as although they've survived many years they've never thrived and most other plants failed miserably in the discus environment i.e. 30C water and lower intensity lighting. As I live on a island I wondered whether anybody had used driftwood as we have a lot washed up on our beaches or would you advocate safety and go for bog wood from the lfs? I understand bog wood clouds the water with tannins? B

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Replacing Planted Show tank with Driftwood

Here is one informative article about the types of wood you can safely use in aquarium :

http://injaf.org/articles-guides/gen...aquarium-wood/

One exception to this list at least from my experience would be Grape vine roots.
    My country has a lot of grape wine yards and this root is commonly used in our fish tanks without any problems, as long as it is well dried out.

My advise would be not to improvise here or be very well informed and ensured about the type and age of wood before you put it in your tank with your expensive discus .

Registered Member

Default Re: Replacing Planted Show tank with Driftwood

Many thanks Filip will review before choosing. B