AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Scented Plants in Fish Room

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Scented Plants in Fish Room

Hi everyone.

I am a newbie to this forum and of course seeking help :-)

I am looking to find out if it would be ok to have scented house plants in the fish room i am building?

I hope to have the room heavily stocked with various scented plants including orchids etc and was thinking would this be an issue with the air pump pumping scented air into the tanks?

Thanks in advance for any help :-)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Default Re: Scented Plants in Fish Room

Hi!

I have actually never thought of this and i am not sure if i am preaching truth here (so fellow members, DO correct me when im wrong), but orchids are growing in the amazon, where discus originated from. However, the concentration of scent in the air of your room will probably be much higher...

I think (let me stress: THINK) that if you are not going to be using artificial scents and or plants that release toxic pollen you should be fine.

I am actually curious what the actual scientific answer is, so tag me when you get it!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

Hi Tim

Thank you for your reply.

Yes i was also thinking that the scent would be more concentrated in the fish room than the jungle etc and could therefore cause issues.

Will tag you in :-)

I have about twenty orchids in my apartment and I have six tanks of fish and I have never had a problem. This is not scientific but it is only my experience.

Registered Member

I have plenty of different plants here in our new house in Athens, and I used to always have them around at my previous place, and there were no problem at all, maybe some specific types of plants might be not that harmless, but I don't have any bad experience and never actually thought of it

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Interesting subject and one I would have never considered. I do know that birds are affected by artificial air fresheners so I would think if you have birds in the house with a lot of plants any tanks would be fine also. I do not think that orchids have more scent, at least not to my nose.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Shari

The more plants the better I always say.. We have plants in most of our rooms including where the aquariums are located. Orchids in bloom or not. I believe that they clean the air and are beneficial for both the plant and aquarium. The aquarium water is evaporating making the room more humid,which is great for the plants. The plants clean the air,which is good for the aquarium or the inhabitants living in the tank. It’s a win win