ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hi! From south Ga!

Registered Member

Default Hi! From south Ga!

Hi! Im super happy to be a new member here... i have been an devoted fish keeper my whole life, im 38 now.. and now I also have a 300 gallon... and I cant wait to fill it with discus!!! But ive noticed while trying to find breeders, that many are scams... and the picts they use are not even theirs! I am a very particular person, and in investing in a discus tank I need the confidence that the fish I order will look like they should as adults. Im also finding that strains develop and change as they grow and that there is wide variation in the same strains... so im hoping this forum will help me understand what im looking for, and where to but them at and was wondering if there is a page that links to the sponsors available strains? So I can start looking now esp kenny’s ive heard such good things about him... that is actually why I joined
    Thanks All!!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Hi! From south Ga!

Quote Originally Posted by Ann simpson View Post
    Hi! Im super happy to be a new member here... i have been an devoted fish keeper my whole life, im 38 now.. and now I also have a 300 gallon... and I cant wait to fill it with discus!!! But ive noticed while trying to find breeders, that many are scams... and the picts they use are not even theirs! I am a very particular person, and in investing in a discus tank I need the confidence that the fish I order will look like they should as adults. Im also finding that strains develop and change as they grow and that there is wide variation in the same strains... so im hoping this forum will help me understand what im looking for, and where to but them at and was wondering if there is a page that links to the sponsors available strains? So I can start looking now esp kenny’s ive heard such good things about him... that is actually why I joined
    Thanks All!!
    Welcome, Ann! I'm so happy that you're getting into discus!

it ultimately depends what you're after. If you are targeting a specific strain and a specific patter, then go for mature fish unless you're sticking with solid colors. Also, assuming you're new to discus, and your tank size of 300g, I would go for 4.5" + fish. I too have heard great things from Kenny so I'm actually on hold for a particular strain I want from him. Fortunately, not one "reputable" breeder is better than the other. Just make sure to look at the reviews and suggestions from SimplyDiscus. Fish stress out at different levels; what is stressful for one fish may not be stressful for another and you might have that one weird occurrence where one of your fish may get sick from this reputable supplier.

For example; After my bad experience from online shopping, I found Jack Wattley and so far, I've purchased all my fish from him. I had ONE occurrence with one of his fish being sick after being in my QT tank for one day. Gabe was one phone call away and told me exactly what to treat and how to treat. He also provided free medication. If this isn't exceptional care, I don't know what is. Also, this is exactly why it's important to Quarantine.

One key advice; buy your stock from the same supplier. So do a thorough research on who you want to work with and stick with that supplier. Obviously this is not set in stone but it will save your stock and a major headache.

If you're up for the challenge of growing out fry, there is a wonderful section on the forums with a grow out competition with a plethora of information. Just keep in mind that fry vary and will not look exactly like the parents due to cross breeding.
    Last edited by Mando; 09-06-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Registered Member

Hello, Ann! I only know one supplier. I buy all Discus from Kenny who you will find along with other in the index. Kenny has been selling fish for years. He imports a wide variety every month from Asian breeders. He quarantines all fish before they are offered for sale and he sells his entire stock each month which means old stock is not mixed with new stock. There is no old stock. You can call or email Kenny or he will call you about any of his fish. He will offer a photo of each and every fish for sale each month. But here is where you have to understand that the little guys, the 3.5 inches up to 5 inches will grow out with more color or different color than shown. If you want something that will look like what its going to look like then maybe buy the 6 inches or bigger. But more expensive. Kenny ships over night, you pick the day that you want to receive the order. You will be impressed with the packing. All fish are in two double think bags of medicated water and heater pads are added to keep them warm. At a ration or 3 or 4 fish per 10 gallons you can order a lot of Discus to populate that 300 gallon tank. Good luck and welcome.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Yes.....what peewee1 said. Also, Kenny will respond promptly to calls and emails. Heck, he even calls to check how fish are doing, welcomes calls from buyer after point of sale, and is always willing to help or offer suggestions. Al my fish r from him. He puts customer happiness ahead of dollars.

Real Name
    Brian

Welcome Ann! It's good you are doing your research instead of just going for the best "deal" out there, like so many others do. Starting off with healthy stock from a reputable seller is the best decision you can make! Many people have their favorite seller, but my advise is to figure out what kind of discus you really want, then find a reputable seller. All of Simply's sponsors are held to a standard of quality, and if they fail, the forum owner will retract their sponsorship.

Since you are new here, I recommend you watch this video http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

Brian

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

welcome to SD Ann. can't wait to see your 300 gal set up with beautiful discus. You certainly came to the right place to learn the ins-and-outs of discus keeping.

Dennis from Dennis's discus fish is also a site sponsor. Like Kenny he will send pictures of the actual fish he is selling. In my selection process he sent me multiple pics & videos as well. I was fortunate to be able to drive three hours to pick up my discus myself. When I arrived at Dennis's Fish room it was immaculately clean and the tanks were in amazing condition. I happened to see three discus that I liked better than the ones that I had chosen and Dennis happily switched out three for the ones that I wanted. My purchase was a year ago and Dennis still messages and checks in every now and then to see how my fish are doing. I have had no health issues the whole year with his fish and so I haven't had to depend upon him for troubleshooting but he would be available no doubt if I needed that service.
    He just received a new shipment last Friday which a quarantine in right now and will be available for sale probably in a week or so. I will be posting his shipment video in his sponsor section as soon as he sends it to me.
    Last edited by danotaylor; 09-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.