AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Rainwater for my aquarium

Registered Member

Default Rainwater for my aquarium

Hey guys,
    As suggested in the title I’m thinking of running a drip rainwater change system with a hi tec planted aquarium. I intend to to keep 4 or 5 adult / sub adult discus with a shoal of dither fish, probably cardinals and some corys.
    I’ll be using Ada soil and it’s a new tank build tank. This means I’ll be 3-4 months before adding fish minimum and getting all perimeters dialled in before any livestock.
    To the aquarium system, it will be in excess of 500 litres with a sump and the aquarium holding more than 450 litres I have a large uv light attached to the underside of the aquarium with its own pump optimised for the uv filter, a purigen reactor also running.
    I have a waterbut purchased and it’s in my shed attaching to the down pipe of my gutter. It will run into a bucket with carbon going to a second or in this case along the line a first uv filter with lots of hang time before leaving to head to the aquarium.
    I live in simi- rural Ireland where pollution is not an issue.
    So constructive suggestions if anybody has any would be much appreciated
    Michael

Real Name
    Heather

Default Re: Rainwater for my aquarium

It's been over a decade since I utilized rainwater as a supplemental source for my aquariums (I lived in the rural midwest at the time, before a violent F4 tornado took everything and forced our move ) But I recall that it was an awesome source, even with my 400 ft deep well water) and all of my tanks were healthy.

I'd be interested to hear others' recent experience on the matter
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Julian

I being using rain water for many years. I do add chlorine just the cap from a standard 1 gallon no perfumate it plain bleach, capful for a 55 gallons rain water collector tank. then after 24 hrs . I dechlorinated it with Safe. Doing this way gives a break to my RO system. I do have to say water TDS varies depends how much rain and if your rain collector tanks are away from the wall/roof drop. still water is way lower in TDS and softer than tap water.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Registered Member

Thanks for the posts guys, I am more hopeful from yer responses that water quality can be maintained this way. I’ll be able to supplement my water changes with ro di for the rare occasions that we don’t have enough rain in Ireland 😂
    Any way, over to some of the other sections for more questions and more details 👍
    Anybody with further suggestions on my progress with this plan please give your opinion! All helps thanks
    Michael