AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus stopped eating

Registered Member

Default Discus stopped eating

Hi I have been running a qt tank for some fish I want to add to my main Discus tank. Some fish have been in qt for 4 months others 2-3 weeks. I placed a healthy Discus from my main tank into the qt as the “hero/sacrificial lamb” the Discus was eating normal first couple days now it has stopped eating for about 2 days. I’ve raised the temp to 91F for 2 days and it’s still not eating so I raised it to 93F. The Discus came from a 90 gallon into a 20 gallon (qt) could this be why it isn’t eating? Could be stressed? Any feed back is greatly appreciated

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Default Re: Discus stopped eating

Why would you take a healthy Discus out of his tank and place him into a QT tank? hero/sacrificial lamb? Well you just might have sacrificed him now. Moving fish back and forth like a piece of furniture is not a good idea, placing him with no other discus is not a good idea. Definite stress if you ask me, I would probably put him back and hope he regains his health once back with his old mates.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jeoper View Post
    Hi I have been running a qt tank for some fish I want to add to my main Discus tank. Some fish have been in qt for 4 months others 2-3 weeks. I placed a healthy Discus from my main tank into the qt as the “hero/sacrificial lamb” the Discus was eating normal first couple days now it has stopped eating for about 2 days. I’ve raised the temp to 91F for 2 days and it’s still not eating so I raised it to 93F. The Discus came from a 90 gallon into a 20 gallon (qt) could this be why it isn’t eating? Could be stressed? Any feed back is greatly appreciated
    Be sure to check for ammonia and also do some large daily water changes on the QT. See how the fish response.

Quote Originally Posted by geo57 View Post
    Why would you take a healthy Discus out of his tank and place him into a QT tank? hero/sacrificial lamb? Well you just might have sacrificed him now. Moving fish back and forth like a piece of furniture is not a good idea, placing him with no other discus is not a good idea. Definite stress if you ask me, I would probably put him back and hope he regains his health once back with his old mates.
    Hi George, with discus this is the best way to ensure you do not risk the whole group to new fish.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Yes I figured that out Pat reading a few of the other threads, I wouldn't do it. But then again I'm not breeding or raising fry, my approach to this is simple, once I purchase a pet, whether it be a dog or a fish I'mm totally committed to my pet to the end. Once I set up my tank there is no more additions, no re-arranging of substrate and driftwood. It's their tank i just clean it for them. Yeah, I'm just a servant.

Registered Member

Hello as stated above sacrificing a discus is the safest way to ensure that anything that is going to be introduced to the main display is 100% safe without crashing your entire setup

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Quote Originally Posted by jeoper View Post
    Hello as stated above sacrificing a discus is the safest way to ensure that anything that is going to be introduced to the main display is 100% safe without crashing your entire setup
    As I stated above jeoper not a practice I would follow. I understand NOW that it is a common practice among experienced Discus keepers, one I had not heard of until now. I still do not think i would do it. As I mentioned above once I populate my tank and complete its set up there are no more additions. Also I don't sacrifice my fish no matter what! My thing i guess, I value all life, even my stunted lil fish, I'll keep him until he passes or I do lol. I'm no expert, but I've kept discus for a while and feel that a lot of the problems that arise in an aquarium comes from adding more and more fish. If a fish dies people tend to want to replace it and usually get a couple more and throw them in the mix. I've seen it create problems stress fish and hostilities start and get worse and fish die. I don't want to see death so i keep it as simple as possible and only do the things I feel very comfortable with. Like I said my thing...Good luck with your fish jeop.

Registered Member

As I stated above jeoper not a practice I would follow. I understand NOW that it is a common practice among experienced Discus keepers, one I had not heard of until now. I still do not think i would do it. As I mentioned above once I populate my tank and complete its set up there are no more additions. Also I don't sacrifice my fish no matter what! My thing i guess, I value all life, even my stunted lil fish, I'll keep him until he passes or I do lol. I'm no expert, but I've kept discus for a while and feel that a lot of the problems that arise in an aquarium comes from adding more and more fish. If a fish dies people tend to want to replace it and usually get a couple more and throw them in the mix. I've seen it create problems stress fish and hostilities start and get worse and fish die. I don't want to see death so i keep it as simple as possible and only do the things I feel very comfortable with. Like I said my thing...Good luck with your fish jeop.
    I understand you and thats you. I am following guidelines by Stendker and I wanted to add a cleaning crew for the purpose of cleaning any uneaten food. I do my weekly maintenance but still a cleaning crew is helpful and also looks nice. I have taking all precautions necessary

Registered Member

PS: I care very much for my fish my friend. Happy fish keeping

Real Name
    Filip

Back to Original question .
    Don't try to get him back until you see him happy , well and eating . This is exactly why you put him there in the first place , to see if all goes smooth and well .
    Youll have to wait until it regains it appetite and behaviour before you put it back . If it doesn't , just give him and the rest of the cleaning crew away and be happy and satisfied you saved the rest discus from the same scenario .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Back to Original question .
    Don't try to get him back until you see him happy , well and eating . This is exactly why you put him there in the first place , to see if all goes smooth and well .
    Youll have to wait until it regains it appetite and behaviour before you put it back . If it doesn't , just give him and the rest of the cleaning crew away and be happy and satisfied you saved the rest discus from the same scenario .
    Hello Filip, he isn't eating but I don't see any signs of cross contamination. I think he is just stressed from be separated from the school. All other fish and the hero discus look ok and the hero discus has gone through the 10 day process. Im confident that putting him back will bring him back to eating once hes back home. thanks

Registered Member

Was wondering how your fish is doing? If doing well how long did it take. I have a 6 inch older fish that I've have in quarantine for 1 month still little eating. I raise temp now to 92 from 91.