Cafepress Store     Aquatic foods

Thread: How much of a pH swing is a bad pH swing??

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Zach

Default How much of a pH swing is a bad pH swing??

I'm currently setting up an aging barrel to help elieviate any unnecessary stress in water changes do to bubbles and chlorine. But my pH starts at 7.0 or 7.2 (I'm color blind I'm sorry I try my best lol) and drops to 6.6 or 6.4 in about 15hours. I have yet to see someone get a concrete answer as to how much of a swing is a bad swing so figured I'd start a thread to see. Thanks for any info
    Endure the seemingly unbearable with patience and dignity.

Registered Member
    iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

Default Re: How much of a pH swing is a bad pH swing??

If you are aging your water, then you have eliminated any issues with a pH swing. Unless that swing is after it’s in the tank.

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by LJSmith View Post
    If you are aging your water, then you have eliminated any issues with a pH swing. Unless that swing is after it’s in the tank.
    im aware of that and thats why im setting up an aging barrel. i just want to know how much of a ph swing is actually considered bad. cause as far as i know my ph drop from tap to tank isnt that bad, but im new to discus and have been wrong before so im curious. is .6 ph change drastic and unhealthy? is .2 even too much? or is a bad ph swing not until you hit a change of of a full number??
    Endure the seemingly unbearable with patience and dignity.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Filip

Downward PH swing is much harder on fish than the other way around . Downward and sudden PH drop shouldn't exceed more than 0.3-0.4. during a WC.
    Luckily you have an upward swing when your WC , so I think that 0.6 would be tolerable shift .

But regardless of the PH swing you still have to take care of Gasses and microbubbles during the WC. That's why it would be better if you age water especially for big WCs like + 50% tank volume .
    I think that you can get away with unaged water when you WC up to 40% , but should age when you do more.

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Work on getting your tank to buffer the same as your barrel water after its aged.

Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

IMO you are fine with a .2 swing. My swing is .4. It goes from 6.8 to 7.2. I found that it stressed the fish over time.
    Mama Bear

iTrader

I'd suggest you test your KH. KH and ph go hand in hand. A low KH or zero KH will allow for more ph fluctuation while a moderate or high KH will tend to stabilize it by buffering. I keep my KH around 5 or 6 to keep water ph steady....which it is. Just my thoughts.....

Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

My kH is 4.5 and I have no problems with a pH swing in my tanks. Of course I change water every day...
    Mama Bear

iTrader

I use an RO/DI automatic water change system. I used to reminerilize in the RO/DI barrel before addition to the tank, however now I just have my apex send me an text message when the pH drops to 6.0, I then just dump some seachem equilibrium and baking soda in until the pH is 7 (ish) again. It's only once a month or so. I see 0 reaction in any live stock dumping the powder in the sump vs keeping it steady in the barrel.