AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: possible tapeworm or flukes???

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: possible tapeworm or flukes???

Some reading. Posts from brewmaster15 and pcsb23 are some of our disease experts on the forum.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...light=tapeworm

Eddie is good also.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Cestode-Photos

Directions for using PraziPro

Directions For Use

For treatment of praziquantel-susceptible disease conditions in pond, freshwater and marine aquariums and ornamental pond fishes. AS A BATH: Start treatment with as large a water change as practical or start with new water. Any water used should first be conditioned with ULTIMATE or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X and Stress-X to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. Do not stop filtration, but remove activated carbon and stop foam-fractionation (protein skimming) and UV sterilization. SHAKE VIGOROUSLY before use. Measure Aquarium Solutions Liquid PraziPro at the rate of one (1) teaspoon per 20 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 120 gallons) Measure Pond Solutions Liquid PraziPro at the rate of one (1) teaspoon per 32 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 200 gallons) This produces a concentration of 2.5 mg/L. Distribute the proper amount around the edge of the aquarium or pond or directly in to the filter box to achieve the best overall distribution. A single treatment lasting 5-7 days is normally sufficient. Repeat as necessary, but no more than once every 3 to 5 days. May be used as a preventative, at the standard dosage, when disease is likely. Do not use with other drugs or disease treatments. May cause temporary foaming.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 04-22-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Zach

So it's now been a full week since I've been dosing with PraziPro. Everything seemed great this whole week besides a big algae/mold outbreak I'm dealing with, no more tapeworms in the poop, they stopped doing the shaking and shimmying. Today was going to be the last day of treatment since I wasn't seeing any signs but yesterday I noticed really mucusy white poop floating around the tank when I noticed the Blue Diamond now has their right fin clamped and is swaying back and forth and not eating and now it seems the red melon is clamping his fins a bit as well :/

Should I start treatment of Metro now??
    Endure the seemingly unbearable with patience and dignity.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Zach

Update: no longer showing signs of tapeworms but after 5 days of water changes I've noticed zero improvement of the Blue Diamond. Still shy in the corner occasionally runs around with the pack, clamped top fins and not eating at all but still passes long white mucusy poop and has now gotten a dark patch on it's forehead.IMG_20180429_212200.jpg
    Noticed there are also all still doing the shaking of the ventral fins and dorsal fins as shown earlier in these video although very infrequently do they do this now. https://youtu.be/Qo1Zcm5nWos

Shake happens at 15sec https://youtu.be/gxGZhsq-Dyg

Wondering if I should continue with another dose of Prazipro? Or should I begin treatment with Metro and turn the tank up to 88F?

Any info is super appreciated guys thank you so much for taking the time to read this all
    Last edited by Gaman-Dekinai; 05-03-2018 at 03:31 AM.
    Endure the seemingly unbearable with patience and dignity.

If you can get access to a microscope and send a cellphone picture through it of fresh stringy poop. I may be able to help you. Often the cause is Cryptobia iubilans which is visible in the poop sample. I can provide video samples. It is one of the causes of chronic wasting disease, "discus plague" in discus. Unfortunately it is difficult to treat, but it is useful to know the cause.

Registered Member

not only poop but check tail, propably fungus

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Gaman-Dekinai View Post
    Update: no longer showing signs of tapeworms but after 5 days of water changes I've noticed zero improvement of the Blue Diamond. Still shy in the corner occasionally runs around with the pack, clamped top fins and not eating at all but still passes long white mucusy poop and has now gotten a dark patch on it's forehead.IMG_20180429_212200.jpg
    Noticed there are also all still doing the shaking of the ventral fins and dorsal fins as shown earlier in these video although very infrequently do they do this now. https://youtu.be/Qo1Zcm5nWos

Shake happens at 15sec https://youtu.be/gxGZhsq-Dyg

Wondering if I should continue with another dose of Prazipro? Or should I begin treatment with Metro and turn the tank up to 88F?

Any info is super appreciated guys thank you so much for taking the time to read this all
    Any updates on your blue diamond? Did he recover?
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12