ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Discus Question

Registered Member

Default New Discus Question

Hey guys and gals! I am a new member to simply discus and have recently acquired 2 discus for my 40b fish tank. I have read about the nitrogen cycle and my tank is cycled with a ph of 6.5. My question is how long does it take for new discus to get used to the tank. I’m asking because I bought a 2 inch cobalt discus (2 months old) and his fins were clamped after a day of introduction. The other discus I bought which is a golden one is doing great. The temp of the tank is at 84.4 F ammo, nitrite is 0 and nitrate at 10. Sorry for the long post and if this is in the wrong section. Here is a photo of the discus
    F00F44A6-1285-4A64-99A2-8C8D0D0C4205.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: New Discus Question

Hi Jay, First welcome to the forum. I suspect your tank is experiencing a mini-cycle. What is the ammonia? Did you QT the fish? I would strong suggest you review the stickie threads in the beginner section of the forum. Can you do a large water change?
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 04-21-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Hi Pat, Thank you for the information I have read the sticky threads now and I can do a large water change. Right now the ammonia is 0 as well as nitrite, but the nitrate is at 40 now. How big of a water change should I do? Also no I have not quarantined the fish, but I have been observing the fish at the store for a week before I bought it. Although it is no trouble for me to set up a 10 gallon qt. Thank you very much for the help!
    Jay

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Jay, nitrates in the 40 is way to high for discus. Can you try a 50% change for now and see how the fish do. Did you see this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...hat-not-to-buy.
    Pat

Registered Member

Thanks Pat, I have done a 50% water change and the discus seems to still have his fins clamped. I have read the thread as well. Do you think my discus could be stunted? Or does he look unhealthy? I haven’t seen him poo yet so I can’t tell. Next time I think I’ll just purchase from online retails or sponsors to assure that I have a healthy discus if so.
    Thanks,
    Jay

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Jay’s Discus View Post
    Thanks Pat, I have done a 50% water change and the discus seems to still have his fins clamped. I have read the thread as well. Do you think my discus could be stunted? Or does he look unhealthy? I haven’t seen him poo yet so I can’t tell. Next time I think I’ll just purchase from online retails or sponsors to assure that I have a healthy discus if so.
    Thanks,
    Jay
    Hi Jay, I hate to be a bearer of bad news but this fish looks pretty bad and yes, it is stunted. Note the large eye. This is a common problem with buying discus from the LFS.

I would suggest spending some time here and do lots of reading/research. Ask questions. See if you want to commit on a group of discus. If you do lets do it right.

In the mean time. Do daily water changes and perhaps you can at least get him looking better.
    Pat

Registered Member

Hi Pat, Ah man that’s unfortunate. Well I guess I’ll just continue with the water changes and I’ll observe how the fish does. I most likely will get a group of discus. Do I need to get them all in one go or should i just get them by 2s? I’m planning on getting 5-6 discus. Thanks
    Jay

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Jay, best to get them as a group from one source. You might consider trying one of our sponsors here. Checkout their sponsor boards for sales threads with pics to get an idea.
    Pat

Registered Member

Hi Pat, Thank you very much for the help I will wait a while until this discus gets settled in and I’ll get a group of 4-5 more discus from kenny’s Discus Thanks.
    Jay

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Jay’s Discus View Post
    Hi Pat, Thank you very much for the help I will wait a while until this discus gets settled in and I’ll get a group of 4-5 more discus from kenny’s Discus Thanks.
    Jay
    Its better not to mix discus from different sources . If you decide to buy a new batch of 6 quallity dicus (5-6 is considered minimum BTW) give this one away , sterilize the tank and equipment , and start from a scratch , with your new batch of discus .

Registered Member

I have a question for the experts. Isn't his 40G fish tank too small for 5-6 Discus as they grow?

Also what is the filtration your using Jay?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Hidan View Post
    I have a question for the experts. Isn't his 40G fish tank too small for 5-6 Discus as they grow?

Also what is the filtration your using Jay?
    Yes Hidan . 55 gallon should be considered minimum to keep 6 Grown discus . But , the more the better is the rule here , off course .