ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Plastic bin for water storage miss hap

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Zach

Default Plastic bin for water storage miss hap

So I decided to use an empty 45gl storage bin that I had lying around the house to age my water. I used an old heater from my last tank and realized I had lost the suction cups to anchor it to the side so I put it at the bottom of the bin, filled it with water just enough to cover the heater. Now I had suspected it might melt the plastic and so I put the bin in my tub and alas when I walked away after 10minutes thinking it was fine came back to a smoke filled bathroom lol. So my question is if anyone else uses plastic bins for storing water and will the suction cups solve this issue? Did the heater just overheat from being kinda old cause it was only supposed to be 86? Or do you guys have like a heat shielding over the plastic bin behind the heater???

Any info helps thanks
    Endure the seemingly unbearable with patience and dignity.

Registered Member

Default Re: Plastic bin for water storage miss hap

Maybe you just needed more water? I toss as many as 6 heaters onto the bottom of my plastic barrel. I do turn them off long before water levels get too low though. Well, most of the time.

Real Name
    Ralph

Kind of odd it would melt or heat up the bottom of the barrel...but as mentioned above more water may help.
    If your concerned...just rest a slate/marble or any tile and sit heater on it...the heat will not penetrate through and offer peace of mind.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I've had heaters leave indentations in the bottom of my Brutes, so I'm not real surprised by your experience. Cheaper thinner plastic, an old heater that may not be shutting off anymore, just a couple possibilities for a disaster. As Ralph said, laying the heater on something would prevent this kind of problem.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Gaman-Dekinai View Post
    ...when I walked away after 10minutes thinking it was fine came back to a smoke filled bathroom lol...
    What do you think was smoking? Melting plastic does not smoke and those heaters do not generate enough heat to ignite them (also there's the matter of the water there). Most likely, the heater was leaking electricity and started to smoke on its own.

I've used plastic storage bins to heat and age water with no problem, except that the sides bow out. Unless you're using a thick walled garbage can, I used to strap the middle to prevent any aging. Otherwise, the heater just hang over the side with no problem. Just be sure to unplug the heater when you're draining the bin.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Agree with willie, smoke had to be from fried electronics, not melting plastic. That heater is toast. If you are replacing with a glass walled heater, Amazon "aquarium heater protector" for some quick simple ideas on how to insulate the heater glass from the side of the storage bin. Worrying about suction cups is futile long term. Also, not endorsing amazon, just wanted to show you some ideas.