ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: L200 (Green Phantom) Pleco with Discus and PLANTS!

Registered Member

Default L200 (Green Phantom) Pleco with Discus and PLANTS!

So I was wondering, does anyone have any experience with the L200 pleco (Green Phantom) being housed with Discus and plants?

I was going for the albino BN as it is very evident amongst the internet that they are safe for plants and Discus. I just saw one of these at my LFS for 40 bucks and it looks too cool not to have.

However, I didn't pull the trigger as I wanted to make sure these were safe for the Discus and especially my plants.

I only have a few plants: 2 Anubias, 1 Amazon Sword Compacta, 1 Crypt, 1 Aluminum Plant (not full aquatic plant I know, but it's still alive) and 1 Java Fern.

Thanks for your time!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Default Re: L200 (Green Phantom) Pleco with Discus and PLANTS!

cK. WITH PLANT CATFISH. 77 HIGHEST TEMP.

I dont have a green phantom pleco, but I do have a blue phantom pleco with my discus; and while it pays no attention to my discus ( individual pleco temperaments do have a tendency to vary on this point, however) it chews up any broad leaved plants severely.
    Swords are definitely one plant it has decimated.
    However,, I do have crypt spiralis, valisneria leopard, various smaller leaved crypts in foreground of tank, and smaller-leaved anubias and java fern tied to driftwood that it doesn't bother with.
    The green phantom is considered omnivorous, but that scraping mouth will work on all surfaces of the aquarium. It is a busy loricariid and, also one that is more gregarious,( IE one you will actually see in the day).
    It also gets to 8-10 inches... might be a consideration for you if tank is small.

This pleco can actually take the higher temps:

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....n-phantom-plec
    Last edited by Discluv; 04-24-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Unless you are willing to deal with the waste a larger pleco can produce, I'd encourage you to get a bristlenose. Look for "green dragon" if you like the color.

There are two species of green phantoms. Barys are usually a bit smaller than the Hemis, but both can get above 10" with good care. Both are mild mannered compared to some medium-large plecos. 77F is a minimum; they'll do fine in discus temps. Just make sure they have plenty to eat and a place to hide. I wouldn't trust one with plants you adore, as it may uproot them simply digging around.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    I dont have a green phantom pleco, but I do have a blue phantom pleco with my discus; and while it pays no attention to my discus ( individual pleco temperaments do have a tendency to vary on this point, however) it chews up any broad leaved plants severely.
    Swords are definitely one plant it has decimated.
    However,, I do have crypt spiralis, valisneria leopard, various smaller leaved crypts in foreground of tank, and smaller-leaved anubias and java fern tied to driftwood that it doesn't bother with.
    The green phantom is considered omnivorous, but that scraping mouth will work on all surfaces of the aquarium. It is a busy loricariid and, also one that is more gregarious,( IE one you will actually see in the day).
    It also gets to 8-10 inches... might be a consideration for you if tank is small.

This pleco can actually take the higher temps:

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....n-phantom-plec
    Thank you very much for your detailed response! The fact that they are gregarious is what made me want him in the first place, it is so active. I may have to opt out on this one and go for the Green Dragon as Adam S has suggested!

Registered Member

Thanks Adam! I will be looking into the green dragon pleco!