AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Crazy Glue

Real Name
    Jim

Question Crazy Glue

I use bulkheads to connect to the intakes of my canister filters. Years ago I had John at Jehmco make me some 3in pieces of gray PVC that would move the intake pre-filters outwards so the fish could swim behind them if they so desired. I used the retail kits that come with numerous plastic attachments so that I could use the 90 degree fitting to point my pre-filter down towards the bottom of the tank in order to drain as much water from the tank as possible during WCs (there is a bulkhead attached to a drain). I've extended the depth of the pre-filters by using another of the plastic pieces in the kit between the 90 and the top of the prefilter. First I tried aquarium sealant, but that wouldn't hold because the pieces are so close in diameter. Now, I'm thinking crazy glue might be a solution, but, I've never put cured crazy glue in a tank and do not want to lose any fish if it proves to be toxic.

Hence this post. Has anyone ever submerged anything that has been crazy glued into their tanks? If so, please let me know whether or not your fish suffered any ill effects.

Thanks,
    Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Default Re: Crazy Glue

Not sure what's in Krazy Glue, but pure super glue is safe even when not cured.

Another thought: if it's attached to a bulkhead, could you make a new intake out of pvc parts?

Real Name
    Kevin

Super glue is very commonly used in reef tanks and planted tanks to help secure rocks/coral/plants. I've used it in my planted tanks before with no ill effects.

It won't hurt a thing.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks for the feedback everyone !!!
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...