AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: PH swing in my aged water and tank question

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default PH swing in my aged water and tank question

So I have a question. I age my water and do 50% water changes everyday. The water out of my tap is 8.0 ph and after I age goes up to 8.2. This has been this way last 3 months while doing fishless cycle. no water changes during fishless cycle except at the very end when cycled. I have had my fish for almost 2 weeks. well I check my water daily before each water change and the last few days I have noticed the ph in my tank has now been dropping back to 8.0 the last few days but my aging barrels are still 8.2 and today as high as 8.3. So my question is should I do a water change from the tap at 8.0 to match tank water or should I still use aged water at 50% water change and let ph go up. I figure if today at 8.3 from barrel and tank at 8.0 50% change would bring ph up to 8.1 to 8.1 and a half. I use straight tap and my water is a gh of 160 and kh is 80. I feel that that has been pretty stable. I noticed 3 fish are doing a little flashing but not a constantly. the fins are open not dark and both gills opening and eating exceptionally well. These are are stendkers at 2.5 inches. 2nd question was wondering if the fluctuation in ph could be causing the flashing. I bought some prazipro just in case but does not seem like they have flukes. In fact fish are bright and colorfull and seem very happy.Being in the Arizona desert my water could possibly have some metals in the water and guess I need to get a water report from my water company.

In the old days about 25 years ago I raised discus but all in straight ro water. Water straight from the tap is a new thing for and so I feel like I am a beginner again. My tank is 125 gallons and I bought 13 discus from hans. Been feeding them hans flakes,FDBW, Omega frozen carnivore,frozen brine shrip and frozen beef heart and they eat the heck out of it all. I feed them 4 times a day and was curious if this could have an effect on the ph from these foods. I do my water changes at the end of the day and do not feed after change till the next morning. I realize this is a 2 part question in the water chemistry section and my water question is what I am really looking for some thought and answers on. figured I would throw the other question in this same post. Thankyou to anyone chiming in.

Sean

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default Re: PH swing in my aged water and tank question

20180426_193758.jpg here is a pic i just took so you can see the fish are healthy.

Real Name
    Willie

I wouldn't change a thing. The entire Arizona water table is your reservoir and your daily changes are such that the fish are getting very stable, nearly pristine water. They're going to do extremely well. When they get up to 4", I'd push for 100% water changes daily to get real size on these beauties.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Thanks for the response Willie. I decided to stick with the aged water and they are doing great. Tomarrow i am planning on getting two 55 gallon blue water drums and will start the 100% water changes. I have had them for 2 weeks now and already can see growth in them. Even though my aged water goes from 8.0 to 8.2 and then drops back to 8.0 in the tank they don't seem to mind.

Sean

Hi Sean,
    If you don't have a source yet, try Tank N Barrel. They have locations in Tempe and east Mesa/Apache Junction.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Thankyou! I actually got 2 today in Tucson that were used for vinegar. They have been cleaned but I still smell vinegar so I am gonna clean them further.