ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Carbon and fry.

Question Carbon and fry.

I have one pair that has had several unsuccessful attempts at raising fry.
    The fry will hatch at a good rate but immediately fall to the floor and die.
    Seems they lack the sticky thing required to attach to anything.
    I’d give up on this pair and try them with others, but I realy have a set goal in mind that only this pairing can create.
    Other pairs in the same water are relatively successful, still not the best (50 or so attach at free swimming).
    perimeters : TDS 40, ph 7.0, temp 82. RO water and aged water used.

I was wondering if carbon messes with the slime coat on Discus and if so, it could possibly also mess with the sticky thing required for the fry to stick to the cone?

I’ve been running carbon in the sump, just as a precaution in case things crash for any reason, but thinking about removing it.
    Last edited by dpete9; 04-28-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Typos
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Default Re: Carbon and fry.

You mentioned a sump; what's the turnover in the tank? Are the fry getting blown off the cone prematurely? I really doubt carbon has anything to do with it.

I didn’t think so either, but i’m trying to eliminate every possibility.
    The sump has a tank volume turnover of about 7 times an hour, however on the day of hatching I turn it down to barely trickle and still the same issue.
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Real Name
    Willie

I'd recommend you break up and re-pair the parents with other discus. Quite often, the phenomenon is limited to a very specific genetic combination.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I'd recommend you break up and re-pair the parents with other discus. Quite often, the phenomenon is limited to a very specific genetic combination.

Willie
    I’ve done that and the male has great success with other females. The female on the other hand, has troubles with whichever male she is with. However, living where I am, this male seems to be the only only San Merah in the whole country LOL.
    ~ Pete

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by dpete9 View Post
    ...However, living where I am, this male seems to be the only only San Merah in the whole country LOL...
    Pete;

My parents lived in South Africa for seven years so I, at least, know what continent you're at. Just keeping discus alive is already quite a feat. I have no doubt you will be successful eventually.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Pete;

My parents lived in South Africa for seven years so I, at least, know what continent you're at. Just keeping discus alive is already quite a feat. I have no doubt you will be successful eventually.

Willie
    Thanks Willie, Happy Spring time in Minnesota (finally)!
    ~ Pete

Registered Member

Sounds like a problem with the female, what percentage lack the adhesive gland?

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Sounds like a problem with the female, what percentage lack the adhesive gland?

Cliff
    Hi Cliff,
    That’s my last guess too. It’s always been 100% 20 plus attempts now
    ~ Pete

Registered Member

Hi Pete ,
    I pull out the eggs after spawning sometimes it's only five percent good
    egg but that's all I have to work with on the next spawn it may be none or ten percent good eggs. If the pair spawn
    weekly I would have a good size batch.
    Mostly when the batch is small the pair
    will eat the good eggs along with the bad.

Cliff

75 hours from laid and I have 50 or so attached to the cone! Fingers crossed, fingers crossed. I highly doubt it was the carbon, but i removed all of it from the sump an started filtering the water twice through carbon, before aging. Filters attached to the supply line for RO and a large carbon filter from RO waste line to high TDS storage tank and one more inside the storage tank. Just in case there was any crazy chemical in the water supply that’s at small enough levels to only be toxic to fry?? Normally I would have just aged the water and not run through double carbon filtering.
    Anyway, time will tell. I need them to get to the freeswimming stage before i stop holding my breath.
    ~ Pete

Quote Originally Posted by dpete9 View Post
    75 hours from laid and I have 50 or so attached to the cone! Fingers crossed, fingers crossed. I highly doubt it was the carbon, but i removed all of it from the sump an started filtering the water twice through carbon, before aging. Filters attached to the supply line for RO and a large carbon filter from RO waste line to high TDS storage tank and one more inside the storage tank. Just in case there was any crazy chemical in the water supply that’s at small enough levels to only be toxic to fry?? Normally I would have just aged the water and not run through double carbon filtering.
    Anyway, time will tell. I need them to get to the freeswimming stage before i stop holding my breath.
    Shoot, Looks like I spoke too soon. All fell to the floor and died AGAIN
    ~ Pete