AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pencilfish

Real Name
    Rob

Default Pencilfish

Hi everyone. I'm considering a school of pencils for my tank. Anyone have these, or had them? Good or bad idea, for any reason?

Registered Member

Default Re: Pencilfish

I'm curious as well, seems like a solid option and something different than the typical tetras and the like.
    I have no experience with them though, so can't of any help.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I love PencilFish but if you read up on their care I think I would not mix them with discus https://www.petcha.com/pencilfish-care-tips/. Plus they run the risk of being eaten due to their size.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Rob

Yes, heavily planted isn't what I have in mind. Shame. Some of them are stunning. Thanks for the link Pat.

Rob

Registered Member

Pencil fish are about the same size as Rummy nose and larger than Cardinals, so doubt they risk getting eaten anymore than the cardinals or Rummy.

I was told they are too boisterous for Discus and might spook them. Most fish would prefer to live in a planted tank, so I doubt their preference of planted tank discounts them as dither fish. Just a question of whether they can take the high temperatures and whether they won't spook the discus.

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Hidan View Post
    Most fish would prefer to live in a planted tank, so I doubt their preference of planted tank discounts them as dither fish.
    Hi Hidan. What exactly, is a dither fish? My understanding is it's fish that relax the main display? Are you saying you're not sure pencils will not do this, without heavy planting? Sorry for the aggressive questioning. I'm just trying to get things perfect for my first discus tank. I know, dream on......

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lastflea View Post
    Hi Hidan. What exactly, is a dither fish? My understanding is it's fish that relax the main display? Are you saying you're not sure pencils will not do this, without heavy planting? Sorry for the aggressive questioning. I'm just trying to get things perfect for my first discus tank. I know, dream on......
    So a dither fish is supposed to be a fish that swims around carefree which encourages the bigger more nervous Discus (often used for other cichlids as well) to come out and swim about, rather than hide. In the wild cichlids use these dither fish to gauge danger from predators.

Pencilfish would work as dither fish as they do swim around fearlessly. The problem as I was informed, when I asked this same question(a few months back) was that they are very fast moving fish and that could stress out smaller discus. My guess is they could work once the Discus put on a bit of size and no longer spook that easily (though I am not that experienced and other more experienced people could tell you if my assumptions are correct).