Real Name
    Matt

Default My results

My well water through a water softener comes out of the tap at 6.8
    2 hours later it is 7.2 is this normal?

Real Name
    Heather

Default Re: My results

I'm not on a well, but the PH of my water out of the tap does increase too upon standing. Is why I use aged, RO water.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Wow 24 hours later my ph is 8.1. Can discus live in that?

Real Name
    Rob

I'm having a similar problem, but mine is from a water company. Mine went from 7.4 to 8.4 over night. After 36 hours it was back down to 8. I think, am almost sure, it's because of degassing CO2, which is present in the pipes, and is then released when the water is exposed to oxygen. The thing to do is age your water by putting it in a tub and popping an air pump in there. After 24hrs of that you'll have a stable pH reading. Oddly though, my water remained at 7.4 until I added a sponge filter to the equation. It's that that made it shoot up. Today I have two buckets of water from the tap. One with an air pump in it, the other without. Tomorrow I'll see what the pH is. Maybe try that too and see what you get.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filthyfish View Post
    Wow 24 hours later my ph is 8.1. Can discus live in that?
    Yes 8.1 is fine it sounds like you need to age your water I pretty much have the same type of water just put the water in a aging barell wiith an air pump and airstones and you'll be fine the discus that they breed now can handle a high ph the main thing you want to focus on is consistent water so no big ph swings you want the new water your adding to the tank to pretty much be about the same ph as the tank is the main thing your shooting for is stable ph don't worry about how high or low your ph is as long as its the same when doing water changes you'll be fine