ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metro vs Metroplex

Real Name
    Patty

Default Metro vs Metroplex

I’ve seen white stringy poop from 1, possibly 2 of my fish. I did a lot of searching here and saw recommendations for “metro”. Like many others, I found Metroplex. I started using it, but kept researching here finding that when people here say Metro, they mean Metronidazole-not Metroplex. Metronidazole is referred to as, “...the good stuff” while Metroplex apparently doesn’t cure anything as it’s only 75% metronidazole. The “good stuff” can be purchased from jemco. You won’t find it at a pet store.
    I’m posting this to save others from making my mistake when you do your research.
    My biggest mistake was not listening to Al’s sticky about keeping Discus when he said, “yes, they will get sick..” I didn’t want to think about it then, but should have had the things on hand for that day. I’m hoping I caught this early enough. Here’s a pic. He looks healthy, (head isn’t pinched) but I noticed him hanging in the corner without much of an appetite.
    6D192ED7-C38A-4750-956C-65EF955C356A.jpgF4A9FDF2-5CDC-44DC-8683-F8D8F7C8AB07.jpg
    Thanks to all those answers previously posted here from Liz, Pat, Al and many more. I feel if my lollipop discus makes it, I should send all of you a big fat colorful swirly lollipop!
    Also, per advice here, I will be treating entire tank. If I’m making any other errors, please advise.

Registered Member

Default Re: Metro vs Metroplex

Not every drug is available at 99% purity. Commercial products like Kanaplex and Metroplex tend to have more filler/excipients and a bigger markup making them overpriced. That being said, there's no reason 75% metronidazole won't work as long as the dosage and diagnosis are correct. I wouldn't trust the Metroplex or Kanaplex dosing instructions and would want to verify them myself.

There are at least 7 types of intestinal parasites so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if any single treatment failed, correct dosage or not.

Real Name
    Patty

I used metroplex mixed with focus and garlic extract, but they didn’t give any instructions on how many times/day to feed them. I decided to use it every meal. The second day only a few readily ate it. Some pecked at it, but my original sick one wouldn’t eat it at all.
    Would you use Kanaplex and metroplex together? If so, what dose would you use? I just ordered metronidazole and it should get here Fri or Sat at the latest. Symptoms are stringy clear/white poop and the dorsal fin flicks sometimes. I’ve seen a couple of them do this. Is that what people mean when they say flashing?
    Do you think I should use metroplex mixed in water until I get the metronidazole? I appreciate any advice you could offer. This is my first experience with stringy white poop. My one discus is still eating a little and comes to the front of the tank when he sees me. Otherwise, he stays in the corner.
    I do 75% wc every other day.
    My temp is 83.
    Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrates are 5-10 (prior to wc)
    I have a light layer of sand, 1/2” in the deepest area.
    I had 1 sick fish that I quarantined, treated for bloat and bacterial infxn. Kept him (John Snow)quarantined for almost 2 months and finally reintroduced him to the tank. I posted here about it & could find out the exact date, but thinking it was about a month ago. I’ve had the fish since sept 2016 and oct 2016 without a problem. I moved fish from B.B. 75 gal to 125 gal with small school of rummy nose and 2 Cory Dora’s, but used a hero fish in the new tank for 6 weeks prior to adding the others. My fish that hangs in the corner isn’t the same one I treated before. The one that was sick before is acting sick again too. He is starting to breath rapidly. The others are breathing normally. Perhaps the cure was only a band aid? I set up a 20 gal hospital tank. Temp at 88, but at this point think it’s going to affect everybody and would rather treat them all. I’m also going to remove the sand and have been cleaning it so much my husband thinks I’m slowly trying to rid myself of it and suggested I just take it out.

Real Name
    Patty

I’ve read so many threads on sickness lately I thought I had the questionnaire memorized, but forgot to add that I age and heat my municipal water and use prime.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Patty, you will want to use 100% metro. Best to dose daily after a 50% water change at 500 mg per 10 gallons. I use a gram scale to measure the amount. Before dosing I mix the metro in a large container of warm water before adding it to the tank. Aim for a 10 to 12 day treatment. I run the temp at about 88 during treatment and after until the fish are eating well.
    hth,
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks Pat. That was my plan from reading all your advice to others here. Your quote, “Your discus are talking...” stuck with me...even when my husband claims they’re fine! I would have forgotten to raise the temp so thanks for reminding me! I will start slowly increasing the temp today on the 125 gal and treat the whole bunch (thanks Liz/ Mama Bear). I have an ink bird that will help on that end (thanks Jenene). I Work 12/13 hours tomorrow but husband will be home at lunch to check temp. Then I’m off 3 days to treat....and listen!
    You are the best! If you ever come anywhere near Port Charlotte, Florida (between Sarasota and Ft Myers) I’d like to take you and yours out to dinner. We have some great fish restaurants here! This offer doesn’t expire either. Just PM me. Thanks to you, (and many others) I’ll continue my journey here with SD!

Real Name
    Patty

Will the rummy noses and Cory Cats be okay at this high temp? It would be pointless to move them temporarily if they also have it.

Real Name
    Patty

I’m going to lower the temp in my hospital tank for the Cory Cats and rummy noses. I can just treat them at a lower temp

Real Name
    Patty

Update: It’s been 1 week since I started treatment with metronidazole and guess who came out to greet me when I came home tonight? 814DE312-F7F6-47C2-876B-7753205C744C.jpg

Real Name
    Patty

My lollipop on the far right is eating more each day and spending less time up in the corner under the filter. I got rid of the sand and I think they are on the mend. Thanks for your help Pat! I didn’t get the temp up to 88. I couldn’t get the 20 gal heat regulated for the corydora’s. I bought a new heater (smaller one) today and could still move the corydora’s if you think I need to. John Snow isn’t breathing fast anymore and is back to his normal self. The others weren’t acting sick, but they seem hungrier and happier too. What a great feeling. I nay even have found my quote, “If the discus are happy, everybody’s happy.”

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    My lollipop on the far right is eating more each day and spending less time up in the corner under the filter. I got rid of the sand and I think they are on the mend. Thanks for your help Pat! I didn’t get the temp up to 88. I couldn’t get the 20 gal heat regulated for the corydora’s. I bought a new heater (smaller one) today and could still move the corydora’s if you think I need to. John Snow isn’t breathing fast anymore and is back to his normal self. The others weren’t acting sick, but they seem hungrier and happier too. What a great feeling. I nay even have found my quote, “If the discus are happy, everybody’s happy.”
    and Patty is happy too lol
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

Update: Day 12 of treatment is complete. Lollipop still likes that corner, but comes out to eat and I’ve seen her swim with the group once or twice as well. Her appetite is improving. She’s not her usual scrappy self yet, but she got in there for her share of the fdbw today instead of waiting for the fallen bits. I hope she starts eating with her usual gusto soon! AA8D6E00-C970-4D61-9B7C-E1D4FBF9F8B4.jpg

Real Name
    Patty

Update: lollipop is still not eating well with increased temp. I moved her to hospital tank and I’m giving her a metronidazole treatment. I had gotten on the anoxic filtration system bandwagon and while going through threads found a question that hadn’t occurred to me. Would the kitty litter in the baskets absorb meds? I suspect that may have happened.
    I suspect my little lollipop had a weakened immune system possibly due to her prolific egg laying behavior?
    Anyway I will do another course of metronidazole and hope this does the trick. The rest of the bunch are acting like their normal piggish selves.
    Patty

Registered Member

my advice
    clean all filters, make water change 50% ph must be under 7 and use 3-4 grams metro for 4-5 days everyday evening
    cleaning fish poop and other staff and clean filters. metro cant kill hexamitia

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Tuterosso View Post
    my advice
    clean all filters, make water change 50% ph must be under 7 and use 3-4 grams metro for 4-5 days everyday evening
    cleaning fish poop and other staff and clean filters. metro cant kill hexamitia
    Not sure if that was a typo or not, but Metro is one of the most common meds to combat hex.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast