AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Metro vs Metroplex

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Default Re: Metro vs Metroplex

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Update: lollipop is still not eating well with increased temp. I moved her to hospital tank and I’m giving her a metronidazole treatment. I had gotten on the anoxic filtration system bandwagon and while going through threads found a question that hadn’t occurred to me. Would the kitty litter in the baskets absorb meds? I suspect that may have happened.
    I suspect my little lollipop had a weakened immune system possibly due to her prolific egg laying behavior?
    Anyway I will do another course of metronidazole and hope this does the trick. The rest of the bunch are acting like their normal piggish selves.
    Patty
    Hi Patty ;
    Sorry to hear about your sick fish ,you can put it in a Q tank let say 20 g tank with a heater , couple of air-stone treat it with epsom salt to clear the intestine , water change of 80% every day that will get rid of your ammonia ,don't feed any thing ,after 24 hours treat with metro or metroplex 15 mg per liter of water ,continue this for 12 days ,gradually increase your temp to 94 f as well .
    I think over the years hex has become resistant to low dosage of metro , the above has worked for me many times .
    You probably notice that after 7 days the fish will look better and you can feed small amount of her favorite food once a day if so you can put the food in the metro for 10 minutes before administering the medication , remember no light during the treatment , I generally do the w/c follow by medication and feeding before i go to bed and switch the light off .
    Good luck.

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks Kevin,
    I was a little confused by that previous response and I appreciate you clearing that up. Thank you. I hope one day I can have enough experience to help someone else, but I’ve got a long way to go. Thanks for helping me get through another step in discus keeping. That I’ve lasted 2 yrs is a testament to the top notch advice received here. Your name is very familiar so I’ve been listening to you for a quite some time -albeit through lurking.
    Patty

Sayid
    I wasn’t sure, but I think it may have been you to raise the question about the afs that made me have that lightbulb moment to begin with so thanks for that too. Once I stopped the treatment the first time, she has slowly stopped showing interest in food. She is in a 20 gal, 85 temp tank now. I had already started treatment and I did try to feed her, but will refrain now. She isn’t interested. I did 1 gram for 20 gal. I will check conversion table and see if that’s close to what you recommend. I bought her as a Juvie and she is 2 yrs old now. Do you feel she can build up a resistance due to 1 low dose 12 day treatment? I was wondering about that, but the dose recommended for her is already twice the normal fish dose. I have no idea how much those baskets absorb, but with 9 of them, I would imagine it’d be a substantial amount!
    Time to check those conversion tables! Thanks for your guidance. Hopefully I’ll have good news when I do my next update.
    Patty

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    Not sure if that was a typo or not, but Metro is one of the most common meds to combat hex.
    yes is very good too combat but not to kill hex(in web you can find article about it, hex can live in tank without fish 6 months), metro can limit hex in fish. i just use microscope one time in month and see what fish have inside

Real Name
    Patty

Tuterosso,
    I’ve read that all fish have hex and that you can never rid yourself of it. It makes sense that hex can live without fish for 6 months and explain why it’s such a bugger to fight. Can you explain exactly what you put under the microscope to see if you see hex? Poop?
    I will search for that article, but 3-4 grams seems like a very high dose. Would you be so kind to post the name of the article/author?
    Much appreciated,
    Patty

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Patty, 15 mg per liter is 60 mg per gallon or 600mg per 10 gallons (if I did the math right). Are you using pure metro? Metroplex is not pure metro so you need to account when dosing. I do what Sayid does also. Daily water change, redose for the entire water volume of the tank and lights out. I would only feed if the fish seems interested. It takes 5 days for the metro to get to the inside of the fish (according to Al) so go for 12 day treatment while bring the heat up in the tank. Once at the 12th day and you have not seen any white poop then you can quit dosing metro. Do not quit the heat treatment until the fish has returned to eating well for at least five days.

Hopefully she will recover but sometimes they don't so be prepared for that.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

Thank you Pat!
    Well you are wide awake this morning!
    I am using pure metronidazole. This confusion between the two is the subject of my post as metro without the “plex” or “nitdazole” is confusing! Is it just me? I was going to do 50% wc but will do 80% and do full redose and get that temp up a bit more.
    Thanks for clearing that up and again for your sage advice. With everyone’s help, her chances are improving and she doesn’t have that wasted look yet. I’m staying hopeful for the time being, hoping I won’t need that last bit of advice, but the seed has been planted so to speak.

Patty

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Patty, Metroplex is simply a brand name and yes, been up since 7am complements of my little benji dog Gypsy who needed to go outside.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 05-29-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Patty

Pat,
    I’ve trained my dog to wake my husband up-well, maybe not trained as much as he wakes up and I don’t. I’m now wondering how benji dogs let you know when they have to go out? Aren’t they non barkers? My thanks to you and Gypsy!
    Patty

Real Name
    Pat

Pat,
    I’ve trained my dog to wake my husband up-well, maybe not trained as much as he wakes up and I don’t. I’m now wondering how benji dogs let you know when they have to go out? Aren’t they non barkers? My thanks to you and Gypsy!
    Patty
    Hi Patty, Gypsy is actually a border terrier and she does bark. However she whimpers when she needs to go out. Here she is chasing lizards around the branch

Registered Member

Tuterosso,
    I’ve read that all fish have hex and that you can never rid yourself of it. It makes sense that hex can live without fish for 6 months and explain why it’s such a bugger to fight. Can you explain exactly what you put under the microscope to see if you see hex? Poop?
    I will search for that article, but 3-4 grams seems like a very high dose. Would you be so kind to post the name of the article/author?
    Much appreciated,
    Patty
    sry dont remember name of article.ya take the poop on the microscope. this dose 3-4grams for 100 litres is for fish when they dont eat, i prefere metro in food for few days and its work for me and many others people in poland

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Patty, Gypsy is actually a border terrier and she does bark. However she whimpers when she needs to go out. Here she is chasing lizards around the branch

Cute dog Pat ,i lost my dog after 17 years and don't have the heart of replacing him .

Real Name
    Patty

Well there’s another thing we have in common. I also have a Border Terrier! She’s 14 and is the last one out of bed these days. I can’t seem to load a pic now, but will try later...

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Cute dog Pat ,i lost my dog after 17 years and don't have the heart of replacing him .
    Thanks Sayid, Tom and I have an interesting way with our puppies!! When the current dog gets old we get a puppy. It is amazing, the puppy seems to give the old dog a new lease of life.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Well there’s another thing we have in common. I also have a Border Terrier! She’s 14 and is the last one out of bed these days. I can’t seem to load a pic now, but will try later...
    Would love to see a pic of her Patty. Gypsy is eight. Make sure your picture is less then 2MB.
    Pat

Real Name
    Patty

DDF63F1A-EA40-45F2-9650-B4EDE6ED348F.jpg
    Here’s our little couch potato...
    I also like your puppy idea....
    Patty

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast